Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

When to treat a new hive

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  enjambres 
#1 ·
I set up my first hive this year, started with a package. Queen has been installed for 12 days and is laying, we have capped brood etc. Going well so far. When do I need to start worrying about mites? Thanks.

#2 ·
Generally packages should be supplied with very low mite levels and treatment is not needed until fall, to ensure they go into winter healthy.

However there has been the occasional poster here saying they found their package loaded with mites when they got it. But this would be very rare.

So almost certainly you are fine, but when you are looking through the hive it always pays to check the brood for any signs of dead brood caused by mites. (PMS).

#4 ·
I installed some packages this year. I treated them before they had any capped brood, with a single dose of OAV. Most dropped only five or six mites due to treatment. Some dropped as many as 25. Boy, am I glad I treated them all before those 25 could turn into hundreds more.

Since you already have capped brood, that window of opportunity is now closed. But you should begin some kind of mite monitoring treatment program to determine when to threat his summer. The most basic level is sticky boards, if you have screened bottom boards in place. But a better method is to learn to so sugar rolls, and do them monthly on each hive until it becomes too cold in October. Use those numbers to decide when to treat this year, and with what.

Nancy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.