Why did they build comb on the cells?

Default Why did they build comb on the cells?

Today was the day to move cells to nucs. I opened the cell builder/finisher to find all the viable cells had comb on them. I candled them and things looked good. I even opened one up which also looked good.

We are in a heavy flow. I think it's locust or locust is going to start soon. Did they just run out of places to put nectar? I carefully cut away most of the extra comb.

20190525_162440.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Why did they build comb on the cells?

Never seen them do it to viable cells but a week after the one cell I left to requeen the colony had emerged, the cell bar was solid comb. I got disgusted and let it be. It is still in the hive, now full of honey. I have another cell bar to use for now.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

This is the one I opened. They are supposed to hatch Monday. I sure hope they do or I will have a bunch of queenless nucs.
    20190525_163226.jpg

Also of note, the top bar was grafted with a 00 brush. Bottom was with the Chinese tool. I will be using the 00 brush from now on.

It is not uncommon for the bees to place comb around the cells. A large population of nurse bees, being fed all the syrup they can take, this is sure to activate their wax glans. Give them a frame of foundation to work at the same time you give them the cell bar.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic