Cell builder question

Default Cell builder question

I have a colony close to swarming that was from a feral swarm I caught last year. The bees are good in terms of honey production but they are the pit bulls of my bee yard so to speak. I’ve watched Michael palmers video probably a half dozen times as well as Richard Noel who does a good job of showing palmers method IMO.

I would like to remove the queen the day I place the capped brood above the excluder. Obviously at this point I wouldn’t need an excluder then come back 3-4 days later and remove queen cells and after ten days place graft. Take the queen and place her in a small nuc to live out her days. Would this mess up the swarm instinct and cell builder? My thinking is if I remove the queen at that point there’s absolutely no possible way they swarm and since I won’t be able to get back to the yard for 5-6 days I should not have any issues.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cell builder question

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    I have a colony close to swarming that was from a feral swarm I caught last year. The bees are good in terms of honey production but they are the pit bulls of my bee yard so to speak. I’ve watched Michael palmers video probably a half dozen times as well as Richard Noel who does a good job of showing palmers method IMO.

I would like to remove the queen the day I place the capped brood above the excluder. Obviously at this point I wouldn’t need an excluder then come back 3-4 days later and remove queen cells and after ten days place graft. Take the queen and place her in a small nuc to live out her days. Would this mess up the swarm instinct and cell builder? My thinking is if I remove the queen at that point there’s absolutely no possible way they swarm and since I won’t be able to get back to the yard for 5-6 days I should not have any issues.
    I just did it to the letter the way MP describes and it worked a charm. NO swarming in the bottom colony below the excluder.
    I would follow the instructions then when you have capped cells and you have recombined the hives and are making your splits/nucs you can kill the old queen and give them one of ur new capped QCs to raise their new queen, No point keeping a queen of a hot hive around in my opinion. In fact i just squished a hot hive queen this am.

Default Re: Cell builder question

I have cells emerging today from my first attempt at a Michael Palmer style cell builder setup, and I must say, I am incredibly pleased with the results.

If I recall correctly, Michael Palmer says in one of his lectures that he does not want to share his cell building nurse bees with any larvae other than his grafted cells. That might be a large part of why this method produces such excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstove View Post
    I have cells emerging today from my first attempt at a Michael Palmer style cell builder setup, and I must say, I am incredibly pleased with the results.

If I recall correctly, Michael Palmer says in one of his lectures that he does not want to share his cell building nurse bees with any larvae other than his grafted cells. That might be a large part of why this method produces such excellent results.
    That’s right. I’ll be sure to remove any open brood.

just be sure you dont have a second queen hiding in there. I recall MP uses a shaker box with quene exclude when setting up cell builders.