Wax Cappings, Maxant Spinner or 6 GT Wax Melter

Default Wax Cappings, Maxant Spinner or 6 GT Wax Melter

I'm looking for the most efficient way to handle wax cappings. I was considering the Junior Spinner, but on reading comments regarding this unit, it seems there are a number of over loading comments that raise a red flag. On the other hand, there was a good report about using the 6 GT Wax Melter with the cappings to separate the honey from the wax which sounded good to me. Although it did require switching the wax gate over to the honey gate, which doesn't seem to be a big deal.

So can anyone else recommend the 6 GT Wax Melter for the separation of honey from the wax?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wax Cappings, Maxant Spinner or 6 GT Wax Melter

I have a jr. It works ok, so long as everything is 80 degrees or more. Not so much at 70 or below. Have run as much as 40 mediums at a time before filling it up. Think the way you load it may influence the amount it will handle. I use a silver queen uncapper. My cappings and quite a bit of honey collect in a tub that I transfer to the spinner when close to full. This results in the honey getting a little "whipped" coming out of the spinner, whereas if I loaded it more gradually, I don't think this would happen.

Kinda depends on what you're going to do with the honey. Heating with the wax melter may damage the honey, yielding baker's or brewer's honey. I've never used a melter to separate wax and honey.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

Bdfarmer, thanks for your honest reply. In reading your comments, it sounds as though the jr. can be a little fussy to work with. I hate to spend that kind of money for a piece of fussy equipment. I agree with you on heating honey to high temps can result in bakers honey. Now if one were to put the cappings into a wax heater at say 100, enough to get the honey to run, but not enough to melt the wax, and with a ball valve open, I think one could safely drain the honey off. I like the Maxant 6 gallon wax tank with the two valves (ball and no drip). It is versatile enough to be used to bottle honey as well as melt wax. Where as the jr. spinner is only used for just one function.
    I think it would be great if we could get someone who does use a wax melter to process their cappings to chime in here. It would give us two different views to work with. Bdfarmer, thank you again for your honest opinion of the jr. spinner. As yet I haven't pulled the trigger on either piece of equipment. But I do like the idea of getting more usage of my money by going with the wax melter rather than the fussy spinner. So yes, I'm leaning more towards the wax melter for multi-tasking!

Now if one were to put the cappings into a wax heater at say 100, enough to get the honey to run, but not enough to melt the wax, and with a ball valve open, I think one could safely drain the honey off.
    Even at 100 degrees, the cappings will still retain significant amounts of honey. Check in the commercial forum and see what they are using. I worked with a guy who used a wax melter to process honey from 700 colonies. The value of the heat damaged honey was enough to pay for a good spinner in just one year. My suggestion is to avoid old technology, and wax melters are definitely old.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Btw, I use my water jacketed sump to melt my cappings at the end of the season, just have to change out the fittings. That allows me to store honey in my bottling tank.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.