Last year I had huge SHB problems in my home apiary. Not so much at my work (2 colony apiary) about 20 miles away. This year I started early with laying diatomaceous earth. The only beetles I've seen were overwintered. The next inspection yielded zero and so far I have not seen a single SHB in either yard. I am extremely happy about these results.
Keep in mind I used a Freeman style board last year but somehow beetles were bypassing it enough to continue their life cycle and increase in numbers throughout the year.
Less ants too.
Just thought I would share.
Interesting article about how this natural product can be used safely around bees: