Who invented the Merrill Box?

Default Who invented the Merrill Box?

Seems the Merrill box has been around a long time, and almost everyone makes a version of it, and they aren't all that much different..
    So who is (was) Mr. Merrill and what other things has he contributed to the world of beekeeping besides his very versatile 5 frame box/tool holder?
    Or maybe we are looking for Ms. Merrill.

Phil in Fremont.
    Last edited by hankstump; 05-20-2019 at 02:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Who invented the Merrill Box?

I don't know. Maybe Will Merrill?
    https://www.orchardlaneapiary.com/about
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

The Merrill box was invented by Mr. Lowell Merrill. He took it to Brushy and they agreed to sell it. Sales quickly grew beyond what he wanted to do, so he gave them free license to make it.

Lowell I believe is 83, has 10 booming hives, and stays busy making hives and equipment for locals.

He is an active member of our beekeeping club. In fact he was one of the founding members about 30 years ago. He was club president for many years. He regularly donates some kind of equipment the members can check out.

I am proud to know him.

HillBilly2. Thanks so much for solving the mystery, and giving credit where it is most certainly due.
    Pray tell, what part of the country do you keep bees with Lowell? I'd like to send Lowell a gift for all he has done for the community.
    Is there an address I can send him a package?

Sincerely, Phil in Fremont, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by hankstump View Post
    HillBilly2. Thanks so much for solving the mystery, and giving credit where it is most certainly due.
    Pray tell, what part of the country do you keep bees with Lowell? I'd like to send Lowell a gift for all he has done for the community.
    Is there an address I can send him a package?

Sincerely, Phil in Fremont, Ca
    From his location on the post I would say Western North Carolina. But in todays world the acronym could mean anything. LOL

Coupled with the fact that Brushy Mountain was located in western NC, I would say that is a safe bet.

Of course Mike in LA is in lower Alabama. Go figure.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.