Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have

Sorry I flunked diplomacy. and just tell it as it is. I am too old to put up with this political correctness cr-p
    Maybe I should take back this old woman thing seeing that I spelled it wrong anyway and how about changing that for a bunch of prima donnas, probably spelled that wrong also.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have

I too old to put up with PC cr*p that sells "Guru" stuff to unsuspecting folks without any proof too.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Sorry I flunked diplomacy. and just tell it as it is. I am too old to put up with this political correctness cr-p
    I can identify with that, 100%
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Let's just move on. I think Dr. B has made some lofty claims and I would love to see him shut all of us doubters up. I am sure everyone here would.

If this works, I could see it really being an assist to a solo guy with 30 hives in 4 separate yards. I could see it serving as kind of a screening test. Even if it was right 50% of the time, I think I could use it to save some time. I could reduce inspections to maybe once every 3 weeks while having my cell phone listen to them all weekly. That would be worth a heck of a lot more than $20 to me -- if it works.

If the OP is still following this thread, can the software identify a potentially queenless hive? If it could do that with even a 60% accuracy, it could probably save a few shake outs from laying workers a year.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyNJ View Post
    I too old to put up with PC cr*p that sells "Guru" stuff to unsuspecting folks without any proof too.
    then drop out of the thread you have objected, people have noted your objection, people on here are actually pretty smart, let them decide.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

No disrespect to the OP or anyone else, but I will gladly bet $100 at even odds that, if and when an independent third party tests this app, it will turn out to mostly not work.

If anyone would like to publicly accept this bet, speak up and we can try to agree on exact terms. I'd be happy with something like: "The first independent third-party test involving at least 10 colonies with foulbrood and at least 10 without will either have 4 or more colonies with foulbrood mislabeled as not having it or will have 4 or more colonies without it mislabeled as having it." Something like that.

If no one accepts the bet, then we can probably conclude that, while it's impossible to be sure until it's tested, at present the general opinion on beesource is that the app probably doesn't work, pending new evidence.

That being said, I think the possibility of assessing colony health from measurements of sound, temperature, humidity, and whatever else, is really exciting. Measurement devices for most things (other than weight) are now really cheap and could plausibly be deployed in the field -- I own some BroodMinders myself. Machine learning is really easy these days too, so with enough labeled data it might be possible!

My guess is that if someone achieves this, they will be willing to publicly state what their sample size was, and what they believe their sensitivity and specificity to be for each colony disease they tracked. The lack of that information here is why I'm willing to make this bet.

I hope this doesn't come across as mean spirited. I intend it as an honest search for truth, and I'd be much happier to lose the bet than to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaProf View Post
    There are just 10 days left to get a pre-release version of the Bee Health Guru - a smartphone app that listens to bees and tells you what is wrong with them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...for-beekeepers

The Bee Health Guru is an Android and Apple iOS smartphone that our team of Montana bee researchers have been working on for almost a decade. Our lead researchers have been working with bees for over 30 years each, and from that and working with thousands of beekeepers around the world they have always suspected that bees made different noises when they had different things wrong with them.

Using sophisticated research techniques and state of the art audio equipment that we've shipped to expert beekeepers around the world, our team has collected the specific sounds bees make when they are not well. Then we coupled that with our specially developed artificial intelligence (AI) programming to bring you a smartphone app that takes just 30 seconds to listen to your bees and then uses our proprietary database of sounds and AI to tell you within seconds what, if anything, is wrong with your bees.

So, MontanaProf, are you David Firth? Who is the inventor of this device? Surely, we should know who you are if you want money.
    smsmkiwi Steve Smith

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    then drop out of the thread you have objected, people have noted your objection, people on here are actually pretty smart, let them decide.
    Interesting. Who are you to tell me that ? I am not putting my objections to ANYONE else, but to OP. And I encourage everyone to use the lump in their skull. You know who is treating beekeepers less than smart ? Look at the posts #1, #6 and #7 for claims of "secret sauce" and claims elsewhere about "new zealand bees having different accent".
    Last edited by DaisyNJ; 05-22-2019 at 06:13 PM.

I am someone who has put money into kickstarter for this app. That's who. I signed my name also. I'm just asking as you seem to know all about the project. Its a simple question.

Quote Originally Posted by cfalls View Post
    No disrespect to the OP or anyone else, but I will gladly bet $100 at even odds that, if and when an independent third party tests this app, it will turn out to mostly not work.......

I hope this doesn't come across as mean spirited. I intend it as an honest search for truth, and I'd be much happier to lose the bet than to win it.
    Its not mean spirited at all to ask right questions, especially of those who claim scientific credentials. I will join you and, just to shut up those who make this out to be a $20 issue of an old woman, I will gladly add $500 of my own money into that bet if field test data performed before today, witnessed & validated against claims by someone like Randy Oliver, Mike Palmer etc, are released and explained.

I will reiterate again, field test results are NOT secret sauce. If OP is claiming they are, we got bigger issues than this app not working.

I ask again, who is MontanaProf? Is he associated with the Kickstarter project? If so, what is your name? Are you David Firth as stated on the Kickstarter page? Simple questions.

I cancelled my pledge. I'll wait and see.

Interesting thread but let's take a breath when things get personal please.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I'm not getting personal. I merely asked if the person extolling the virtues of this device is someone actually associated with the project. That's all. This is an informal forum. The person, MontanaProf appears to be knowledgeable about something I'm interested in. I merely asked if he was the creator/inventor mentioned in the Kickstarter webpage. Someone seemed to take offense my question for some reason. I'm a beekeeper with two hive currently and am interested in the project. MontanaProf deosn't seem to be around anymore. Do you know anything about the project?

[QUOTE=smsmkiwi;1727303Do you know anything about the project?[/QUOTE]

Did you check out the links that MontanaProf posted in post #64? The podcast an interview of the creators of the app with Kim Flottum, editor of Bee Culture magazine, conducting the interview. A lot of information there. In the podcast, one of the creators of the app spoke about a field test they did where they put a known AFB hive in a bee yard with multiple other healthy hives. He claimed that the app successfully detected AFB in the infected hive and did not indicate in any of the other hives in the yard. The podcast is over an hour of discussion primarily about the app and its history and development.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    Did you check out the links that MontanaProf posted in post #64? The podcast an interview of the creators of the app with Kim Flottum, editor of Bee Culture magazine, conducting the interview. A lot of information there. In the podcast, one of the creators of the app spoke about a field test they did where they put a known AFB hive in a bee yard with multiple other healthy hives. He claimed that the app successfully detected AFB in the infected hive and did not indicate in any of the other hives in the yard. The podcast is over an hour of discussion primarily about the app and its history and development.
    I've done a search and have now found who he is. I won't say out of respect for him. I was just interested in the device and wanted to know more, including the name the person. I'm not an investigator or anything sinister, just a beekeeper interested in a conversation about a potentially useful device. I wish the project well. Thanks for the info. I will look at it. Cheers.

I’m glad they’ve more than made their minimum on Kickstarter. Since “We are anticipating the app will cost in the $10 - $20 range when it is in its full form. We plan on using those funds to continually improve and tune the app.” and they are only asking the same modest amount for Kickstarter $10-$20 I’ll be more than happy to pay for full version once it is available. (Originally they had $20 as minimum, recently they’ve added $10 and you still get app in June. Most businesses ask for more money as the release date gets near, especially if they’ve already made the minimum.) I sincerely hope they do come up with a useful app - if so they’ll be able to sell it for millions. (What a business plan - asking only 13K to develop software? Amazing! Here in Silicon Valley, I can barely get detailed Statement of Works (SOW - contract for development of software) for 13k. Cost must really be much lower in Montana). Talk about a revolutionary step forward in beekeeping. I’ll send follow up question in late June to see if app was released and it’s efficacy. If after their initial beta release, they’re still looking for additional testers, I’m in. Until then I’ll let more adventurous individuals take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaProf View Post
    There are just 10 days left to get a pre-release version of the Bee Health Guru - a smartphone app that listens to bees and tells you what is wrong with them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...for-beekeepers

The Bee Health Guru is an Android and Apple iOS smartphone that our team of Montana bee researchers have been working on for almost a decade. Our lead researchers have been working with bees for over 30 years each, and from that and working with thousands of beekeepers around the world they have always suspected that bees made different noises when they had different things wrong with them.

Using sophisticated research techniques and state of the art audio equipment that we've shipped to expert beekeepers around the world, our team has collected the specific sounds bees make when they are not well. Then we coupled that with our specially developed artificial intelligence (AI) programming to bring you a smartphone app that takes just 30 seconds to listen to your bees and then uses our proprietary database of sounds and AI to tell you within seconds what, if anything, is wrong with your bees.
    Can it determine if a hive is queenless?

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    Let's just move on. I think Dr. B has made some lofty claims and I would love to see him shut all of us doubters up. I am sure everyone here would.

If this works, I could see it really being an assist to a solo guy with 30 hives in 4 separate yards. I could see it serving as kind of a screening test. Even if it was right 50% of the time, I think I could use it to save some time. I could reduce inspections to maybe once every 3 weeks while having my cell phone listen to them all weekly. That would be worth a heck of a lot more than $20 to me -- if it works.

If the OP is still following this thread, can the software identify a potentially queenless hive? If it could do that with even a 60% accuracy, it could probably save a few shake outs from laying workers a year.
    psm1212, I am indeed still following this thread!! Yes, the Bee Health Guru can identify a potentially queenless hive.

Quote Originally Posted by smsmkiwi View Post
    I'm not getting personal. I merely asked if the person extolling the virtues of this device is someone actually associated with the project. That's all. This is an informal forum. The person, MontanaProf appears to be knowledgeable about something I'm interested in. I merely asked if he was the creator/inventor mentioned in the Kickstarter webpage. Someone seemed to take offense my question for some reason. I'm a beekeeper with two hive currently and am interested in the project. MontanaProf deosn't seem to be around anymore. Do you know anything about the project?
    smsmkiwi, I am still around. Just needed to take a short break to attend to other matters. MontanaProf is indeed David Firth, and I am the one who put the Kickstarter up for our team of bee researchers and software developers. I am professor at the University of Montana. You can find out more on the Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...for-beekeepers

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast