Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have - Page 8
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    LJ, maddog7 is right in a sense that this thread has become quite "heated" in it's discussion. He is wrong in assuming that this one thread is representative of Beesource as a whole. You and I both know that there are a few hot topics where things can get lively and I I am all for it, as long as we remember that everyone, new beek or seasoned, has the right to express their opinion. My opinion is that I believe in this project but think that whoever developed the marketing strategy watched way too many infomercials. Reminds me of Ron Popeil and Ronco here in the States, marketing a bunch of really cheesy home goods on TV.
    I agree with the highlighted sentence. The name choice of the product "guru" is a negative for me.

Why the urgency "only 4 days left etc. It has been suggested that other similar products are under development; may the best product triumph, not the one with the most persuasive marketing!
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    But you're not a moderator - you're a newcomer.
    LJ
    As a moderator I believe that this thread does have value and the various opinions create even more value since they add perspective to the conversation. So long as the give and take isn't delivered in a personal manner and the posts follow the forum rules, we would be hesitant (and wrong) to shut the thread down.

My own opinion is that the effort is worth funding and we gain knowledge even if it doesn't work out. I've spent more over the years on various beekeeping "gadgets" that only looked great in the catalog. I'll take my chances on this one. My .02!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    If this thing works so well that the patent holders decide to offer an IPO, I'll invest, if I can afford it. Kickstarter, no.

This is my opinion.
    Alex
    ^^^ My thoughts exactly.

BTW, I thought the discussion on the subject was great. My opinion is that the marketing was lacking and could have been more specific.

The new members should go back and read all of the posts from BeePro to get a sense of why some other members are so quick to request credentials when a new member makes claims.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    The new members should go back and read all of the posts from BeePro to get a sense of why some other members are so quick to request credentials when a new member makes claims.

Alex
    Or as punishment for personal attacks.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Timing was perfect. I have had two LW this year. One is a small swarm and the other hive failed to requeen. Everyday, I would walk by the hives and ask my bees how are they doing. Everyone said they are doing great, including these Nuc and Hive. They would greet me with smiling faces, content with incoming Black Locust, enjoying the sunny days (after all that rain).

No "queenless roar", no pissed off bees, no nasty talks. Cute as kittens. Only way I found out that they are LW is during my regular inspections, after having learned to look for eggs. Essentially these bees LIED to me. Or I may have not understood their dialect as they were originally from upstate NY. I read about Upstate NY bees having different accent than folks here in NJ.

Well there were other external indicators. I have a Patent Pending on these "visual indicators" of bee behavior. They are secret sauce, but I will reveal them anyways. My kickstarter project is coming up. So here are the details of my patent pending "visual indicators". The activity at the entrance of LW Nuc and Hive is "DULL", while the activity at the newly queened Nucs can be described as "Lets get things done". I dealt with both LW situations.

Now, my upcoming app is called "Bees, See Something ? Say Something". Sure, I borrowed portion of name from our friends at TSA and DHS (speaking of Govt agencies and military projects). Hope they dont mind. You point this app at the entrance and take a "snap". Within 5 seconds, the "Bees, See Something ? Say Something" app will give Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down. I may have borrowed the "Thumbs" thing from our friends at FB, but who cares.

I am debating if I should name this app as "Won't You Save Bees" or "How can you be so cruel not to save Bees" or something more hip. I may just settle with "Snap Sisters". Cute and simple. Suggestions are welcome.

If you enjoyed reading this, and feeling generous, send $10 to your favorite (preferably local) charity (dog, cat, cancer, whatever floats your boat). Or just stop by and have a bagel at local business. Always support local businesses.

Thank you and have a blessed day.

hELL HATH NO FURY............

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    hELL HATH NO FURY............
    quoting a line in the play The Mourning Bride, by William Congreve...you're still flinging hate on women...shame on you

I highly doubt Daisy is scorned...
    DavidZ

Hey Apis, it is all in perception, you see hate I see humor

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyNJ View Post
    The activity at the entrance of LW Nuc and Hive is "DULL", while the activity at the newly queened Nucs can be described as "Lets get things done". I dealt with both LW situations.
    yep. gaining an understanding of colony motivation at different times in the season and how those guide colony operations gives one an appreciation of what to expect in terms of what is seen at the entrance as well in the hive. good point daisy.
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    yep. gaining an understanding of colony motivation at different times in the season and how those guide colony operations gives one an appreciation of what to expect in terms of what is seen at the entrance as well in the hive. good point daisy.

Well, it seems we've plumbed the depths of inanity. This thread has deteriorated to ridicule and mockery. I will be glad when these last few days of the kickstarter are over and Daisy can go in search of a new bone to clench.
    Daisy, there was something about this that set your teeth on edge and it probably had nothing to do with bee keeping. I think it would have been enough to state your perceived shortcomings of the campaign and move on but you, having not let go of the bone, have resorted to mockery completely discounting the data leading into the this thing. Fine. Be Zena, be great, but choose your enemies more wisely.
    Yeah, let it go.
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    Well, it seems we've plumbed the depths of inanity. This thread has deteriorated to ridicule and mockery. I will be glad when these last few days of the kickstarter are over and Daisy can go in search of a new bone to clench.
    Daisy, there was something about this that set your teeth on edge and it probably had nothing to do with bee keeping. I think it would have been enough to state your perceived shortcomings of the campaign and move on but you, having not let go of the bone, have resorted to mockery completely discounting the data leading into the this thing. Fine. Be Zena, be great, but choose your enemies more wisely.
    Yeah, let it go.
    I see you have been around since 2016 on these forums. Then you should know that there are no "enemies" or "agendas". Not atleast among the joe-blow-hobby-beekeeper like me. This has everything to do with beekeeping and nothing to do with anything else. You must have seen heated debates in treatment free and other threads when "beliefs", "individual experiences" peddled with no published data to backup, are always met with severe doubt and rightfully so. People like SP go to great lengths to document their experiences openly so people can see for what it is. Scientific claims like the OP making has to meet higher bar.

OP came back again with "only x days left, as new beekeeper the app told me what I would not otherwise known" . Without any data to backup, thats plain predatory marketing carefully crafted to entice new beekeepers.

I will apologize NOW if I missed the "data". What data ? Did I miss a field trial data and verification that said 1000 colonies tested with app against a well known verification method and app correctly identified Foul Brood in 60% of the cases ? Please point me to it.

I have no dog in this fight except to question the claims, especially if they are coming from a team of "professors" who should know better. I am not sure you understand severity of the unprofessional behavior put out by this project.

WHY do you think my app idea is a mockery but the OP app is legit even without any field trial data ? Are you saying looking at the entrance activity does not reasonably reveal the health (queen right, etc) of the hive ? Or are you saying my AI is somehow inferior to MontanaProf AI ? Or is it the name "Sap Sisters" more silly, comedic than "Bee Health Guru" ? Or it is that I didn't claim that bees from different regions "act" differently at the entrance, hence need a "variation" of my app for NewZealand ?
    Last edited by DaisyNJ; 05-27-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Let's stick with...

Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have

Otherwise, this thread is pretty much out gas. And we're bordering on personal posts, not topical ones.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    Let's stick with...

Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have

Otherwise, this thread is pretty much out gas. And we're bordering on personal posts, not topical ones.
    Please..., kill it.
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

Maybe we are building the future today as it has been done so many times in the past.

If the op is reading and if you need help with the Iberian peninsula bees accent I am available to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    Please..., kill it.
    In the interest of open discussion, knowledge and future reference, I vote to keep this thread live and going.

Back to the topic of "Smartphone App that listens to bees", appreciate if someone can share any literature, published research, old timer books that discuss AM Bees from different continents, regions, countries and states having "different sound accents". I am not educated in the scientific literature so appreciate it.

not sure about the literature daisy, but here's some scientific back and forth including one of the developers:

https://community.lsoft.com/scripts/...D=0&P=70151395

(click on 'next' under 'topic' to follow the thread)
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

Thanks for that link SP. But that thread (as this thread on BeeSource) is from May 2019 and from the same team as the Bee Health Guru. Its reflect similar content / responses to here. However, its refreshing read that link and realize there are other people requesting results and questioning premise.

Unfortunately, Jerry (and the team) danced around the question by a Mr. Peter quoting cows twitching and wagging tails in response to flies, conditioning bees to identify landmines. The landmine research is unrelated, in my humble opinion. The fact that bees (and many other organisms) can associate food with a particular odor and go find that odor has nothing to do with the sounds and accents.

Someone, somewhere in the 100s of years of beekeeping and documenting must have noticed (if bees indeed make different hive sounds) Foul Brood to a certain bee sound, just like they noticed and documented Foul Brood smell and larvae color. Would be nice to find ONE third party reputable reference.

Daisy while you are searching for information perhaps you will come across something that explains why bees hum, buzz or make any sound at all, for until just recently the opinion of experts was that bees had no olfactory senses, so why make a noise at all. I would like more answers to some of the many unresolved bee mysteries but we will never know unless someone tries to find these answers. Daisy I am also not sure what you are objecting to, is it that you believe the research being carried out can never give a positive result or are you objecting to the method the team has followed to get further financing and to involve as many beekeepers as possible to provide raw data from their own hives.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast