Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have - Page 7
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have

Quote Originally Posted by warp1 View Post
    10-4. (I doubt I was the only one thinking it) sorry
    I wasn't thinking it.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have

Only five days left. I went ahead and made my $20 pledge. Now, does the app work on a Samsung J3? Probably need to upgrade the smartphone and that is going to be a lot more than 20 bucks!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Only five days left. I went ahead and made my $20 pledge. Now, does the app work on a Samsung J3? Probably need to upgrade the smartphone and that is going to be a lot more than 20 bucks!
    Hmmm....it would be interesting to find out! I made my pledge and I have a handful of Samsung phones kicking around. This could be even more fun!
    Last edited by Ravenseye; 05-26-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: sp
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I do not even have a smart phone but I made a pledge anyway. One should not condemn what you dont know or even condemn those who are trying to find out things we dont know. The only way we will ever find out if there is any information in the sounds of the hive is to explore the theory that there is. There is much about the hive and the honey bee that is still a mystery to the human race. If this technology is proved to be successful it will provide a useful tool to experienced as well as new beekeepers just in time saved and we would always be able to check the artificial intelligence with our practical knowledge. In the future I might have to purchase one of these phone things but you can be rest assured it will not be to used as intended.

If this idea doesn't work, then all you will have lost is your money. But - if it does work, then what you risk losing is your independence.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    If this idea doesn't work, then all you will have lost is your money. But - if it does work, then what you risk losing is your independence.
    LJ

Alex

LJ
    If this does work, in the future we won't have to have inspectors going through our hives, they can just put the phone in the entrance, a definite plus
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Hi all,

There are just 4 days left to get a pre-release version of the Bee Health Guru.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...for-beekeepers

For those of you who have already supported us, thank you!!

We have the Bee Health Guru running on both the iOS and Android platforms. The AI is pretty processor intensive, so the newer the phone, the better. My iPhone 6 works very well indeed with about 20 seconds to process the signal from listening to the hive, but Jerry's latest Galaxy is incredibly fast on the analysis.

Like all the other tools for beekeeping, the Bee Health Guru is just that: a tool to help with beekeeping. As a beginning beekeeper I have used the pre-release version and found that it gives me information that I would not have otherwise. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaProf View Post
    Hi all,

There are just 4 days left to get a pre-release version of the Bee Health Guru.

Like all the other tools for beekeeping, the Bee Health Guru is just that: a tool to help with beekeeping. As a beginning beekeeper I have used the pre-release version and found that it gives me information that I would not have otherwise. I like that.
    Information such as ? And cross verified by who ? There is still such a thing called Truth In Advertising. Please, for the sake of future research, do not engage in false advertising for the sake of short lived marketing.

I see that you have now updated the kickstarter with the feedback I provided earlier. Do yourself a favor and update kickstart (and website) with the *current* accuracy of the app and data, clearly state that, with the help and data of beekeepers you are looking to improve accuracy. You will gain lot more respect if you say our app is currently 20% accurate (verified by xyz field trials) rather than dancing around and misleading currently going on.

My issue is not with the idea, potential for the usefulness or $20. It is about the way this project is being pushed. You are risking much much more than just your project.

^
    DavidZ

Brand new keeper here, 'bout a month into it. For $20, I'm in ... only 20 bucks. As a noob, I won't be contributing, tho my mentor undoubtably will. I looked into this and this 'tech' has been around since 1964 (+/-). There are some other efforts out there, some open source.

Wow, brand new keeper here and new to this Forum. This is the first thread that I fully followed and I wonder if this is representative of the rest of the Forum 'cuz this is a real crap show. Very much like many of the Gamer Forums. Except that I assume most of you are adults. Could be wrong.

The arguments on both sides of this 'debate' have validity, but do they need to ground and angrily stomped into powder? Frankly, Dr. Firth has been one, if not the most balanced here.

I did significant 'reseach' (googling) into the efforts spent over decades to understand the acoustical signatures of bees and I'm willing to drop 20 bucks into the possibility that this works. I also understand that this is not a complete, finished product, rather a project that will see continued development. The software and hardware is the 'easy' part, it's the research and data collection that will determine success, IMO.

There are other Forums on other sites, perhaps there will be a less nasty hive elsewhere.

Yeah, I know ... "don't let the door ......"

Quote Originally Posted by maddog7 View Post
    Wow, brand new keeper here and new to this Forum. [...]
    So - a brand new beekeeper with the above two posts to your name (and you say you've only followed one here fully) and yet you feel yourself qualified to pass judgement on those with years of beekeeping experience and with large post-counts on this forum ?

You're criticising the content of this thread, and yet by doing so you've just effectively added another inflammatory post by criticising all those who've taken time out to contribute - or perhaps you don't/can't see that ?
    LJ

So - a brand new beekeeper with the above two posts to your name (and you say you've only followed one here fully) and yet you feel yourself qualified to pass judgement on those with years of beekeeping experience and with large post-counts on this forum ?
    Yes, one 'thread'. Do you know what 'thread' means? Apparently not.
    I am not commenting on beekeeping experience, rather on decorum and civility.
    I am hoping for community and knowledge, not flame wars; I can get that on Gamers Forums.

You're criticising the content of this thread, and yet by doing so you've just effectively added another inflammatory post by criticising all those who've taken time out to contribute - or perhaps you don't/can't see that ?
    LJ
    No I did not comment on the content, just the anger and manners. Call it contributions if you want; much of it is, and the rest, which is what I address, are heated, baseless arguments. Reasoned thinking, willingness to patiently, not forcefully debate is a strength.

I may be new here and to keeping bees, but I am not new to Forums or flame threads nor those ppl like you. Attack me if you want, make it personal if you want; you contribute to the crap show. I can see what I have done, can you? Frankly, if I was moderating, this would have been shut down except that it is very possibly a worthy endeavor.

LJ, maddog7 is right in a sense that this thread has become quite "heated" in it's discussion. He is wrong in assuming that this one thread is representative of Beesource as a whole. You and I both know that there are a few hot topics where things can get lively and I I am all for it, as long as we remember that everyone, new beek or seasoned, has the right to express their opinion. My opinion is that I believe in this project but think that whoever developed the marketing strategy watched way too many infomercials. Reminds me of Ron Popeil and Ronco here in the States, marketing a bunch of really cheesy home goods on TV.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog7 View Post
    Yes, one 'thread'. Do you know what 'thread' means? Apparently not.
    You're still doing it ...

I am hoping for community and knowledge, not flame wars; I can get that on Gamers Forums.
    But you've just flamed me. A second reference to 'gaming' - from that I suspect (could be wrong, of course) - that you're probably a young or young-ish person ? Many on here are - how shall I put this ? - in the Autumn of their lives. With so many years behind them, they have amassed countless experiences - and it's those experiences which count (not the years themselves) and which underpin their opinions.

No I did not comment on the content, just the anger and manners. Call it contributions if you want;
    What you call contributions, I called content. Which you did criticise.

much of it is, and the rest, which is what I address, are heated, baseless arguments.
    They're called opinions. If you've read this thread - as you claim - then you'll have read the moderator's reference to everyone having a right to express their viewpoint.

I may be new here and to keeping bees, but I am not new to Forums or flame threads nor those ppl like you. Attack me if you want, make it personal if you want; you contribute to the crap show.
    Like me ? You're doing it again ...

I can see what I have done, can you? Frankly, if I was moderating, this would have been shut down except that it is very possibly a worthy endeavor.
    But you're not a moderator - you're a newcomer.
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    LJ, maddog7 is right in a sense that this thread has become quite "heated" in it's discussion. He is wrong in assuming that this one thread is representative of Beesource as a whole. You and I both know that there are a few hot topics where things can get lively and I I am all for it, as long as we remember that everyone, new beek or seasoned, has the right to express their opinion.
    Sure - just as I have done.
    'best
    LJ

If this thing works I imagine a day when all beekeepers are required to have one. If you can't afford one, one will be provided to you free of charge. Why, you say? Because of the reluctance of beekeepers to register their apiaries. Heck, anyone who uses one of these things will be tracked and pinned to a digital map somewhere in the archives of your favorite Gov. agency, maybe more than one. If you have brood disease they can dispatch a team with the proper implements of destruction to nip it in the bud. Bill you later.
    In the past there have been incidents when the Gov. had to forcibly kill and burn cattle because the owners could not be relied upon to destroy and dispose of them on their own. What a bitter pill to have to swallow.
    Look how much money could be saved by firing all bee inspectors and how much easier it would be to obtain antibiotics to treat hives, no more sampling and guessing and waiting for results and meds. I think I hear S.P. and Enj. cheering in the background.
    It sounds like a good thing, but we have to give up something to get something. I just hope we don't lose our ability to think creatively and to imagine what could be. Ask a kid something they don't know or understand, "I'll google it", is the response and they accept the answer without question.
    Now, the hypocrite in me speaks; If this thing works so well that the patent holders decide to offer an IPO, I'll invest, if I can afford it. Kickstarter, no.

This is my opinion.
    Alex

Ahudd, I can't fully tell if you are for better monitoring or not. Social Contract Theory dictates that there is a giving of some things in order to gain the benefits of society. Our state inspectors are so spread out that they have moved to inspections only every five years, from what I heard of the new policy. Of course, commercial keeps take up most of the time every year. Our inspectors have a good reputation for helping to catch disease and control its spread. I'd love it if the inspector could mail everyone a devise to stick in their hive and stop big problems as soon as they start. EFB and AFB monitoring comes to mind. It could be a great way to speed teach newbies how to recognize problems as well before their hives crash and then bring ours down.

On the other side, like all technology, active citizen involvement should set the parameters in which it is utilized by government agencies. Example: those that wish to breed for varroa resistance would not benefit if they are forced to medicate their hives every year.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

If the newcomer would just put down his copy of " How to win friends and influence people " he would find like Monty Python that this thread is for arguments, insults are down the list to the left.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast