Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have

Quote Originally Posted by MimiE View Post
    I’m glad they’ve more than made their minimum on Kickstarter. Since “We are anticipating the app will cost in the $10 - $20 range when it is in its full form. We plan on using those funds to continually improve and tune the app.” and they are only asking the same modest amount for Kickstarter $10-$20 I’ll be more than happy to pay for full version once it is available. (Originally they had $20 as minimum, recently they’ve added $10 and you still get app in June. Most businesses ask for more money as the release date gets near, especially if they’ve already made the minimum.) I sincerely hope they do come up with a useful app - if so they’ll be able to sell it for millions. (What a business plan - asking only 13K to develop software? Amazing! Here in Silicon Valley, I can barely get detailed Statement of Works (SOW - contract for development of software) for 13k. Cost must really be much lower in Montana). Talk about a revolutionary step forward in beekeeping. I’ll send follow up question in late June to see if app was released and it’s efficacy. If after their initial beta release, they’re still looking for additional testers, I’m in. Until then I’ll let more adventurous individuals take the risk.
    MimiE, just to clarify, the $10 pledge option has been there the whole time, and is for people who want to support the project but DON'T need or want the app. The minimum pledge to get a pre-release version of the app is $20.

I should also clarify that the software is already developed. This kickstarter campaign is to get a pre-release version of the working app and help us tune and test it. As you well know from being in Silicon Valley, the very best way to improve a software product is to get feedback once it is in the hands of actual users.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Professor Firth - Thanks so much for the clarification of what the funding is used for. Mid-way listening to through the podcast I decided to back your project. I’ve donated and given away much more than $20 and this definitely will be a game changer! Congratulations- whomever owns the actual software/product is due for huge payout in long term. Coming from high tech and backyard beekeeping as a hobby, I’ve noticed that many Beekeepers are old school. Its such a different world than what I’m use to. My beekeeping mentor, though he has a smart phone, will only call and won’t even text (just not used to it). My other mentor who runs a commercial operation, use technology because he needs to in order to run business but would much rather not need to learn anything technical (that’s why he went into beekeeping, to work with his hands). They are doers - learn by doing and hands on; it’s an environment that is highly dependent on word of mouth and words mean something. So if they don’t know you or if they can’t touch or see it, they won’t trust it. I look forward to downloading your app.

Default Re: Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have

I just pledged $20. I will have that much fun just testing it out. Thank you for your work David. Good luck with this endeavor!!

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    I just pledged $20. I will have that much fun just testing it out. Thank you for your work David. Good luck with this endeavor!!
    this is how i feel about it too...if its a TOTAL FLOP it will still be a fun little aspect of the hobby to play with and try out.

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    this is how i feel about it too...if its a TOTAL FLOP it will still be a fun little aspect of the hobby to play with and try out.
    In my lifetime, I have thrown a lot more money down a lot deeper holes than this.

In my lifetime, I have thrown a lot more money down a lot deeper holes than this.
    psm1212 and MimiE, we REALLY appreciate your support!! Thank you very much indeed. I really don't think this is going to be thrown-away money for you.

So look, here's how I view it. This is a tool, nothing more. This will not be some end all to issues with beekeeping. I know a lot by watching the traffic in and out of a hive. When things look good I could stuff my phone in, record a bit of buzz, and, assuming the app says nothing's wrong to back up my observations of the traffic, avoid an intrusive inspection. I don't expect this app to see supercedure cells, swarm cells, or take the place of mite treatments. It is a tool, just another to add to my box and if it eliminates a few deep inspections, great. I've read that deep inspections set a hive back by a couple days A good bee keeper develops instincts, just as a nurse or doctor does when assessing a patient. I would love to have a tool like this that could either verify my own assessment, or alert me to pop the top and head in to investigate.
    I tossed twenty bucks at this thing weeks ago, I'm looking forward to adding it to my tools.
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

couldnt agree more. Ive wasted a lot more money on things i will likely enjoy less.

Its only 20bucks im in.

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    couldnt agree more. Ive wasted a lot more money on things i will likely enjoy less.

Its only 20bucks im in.
    Exactly what I thought. I’ll give it a shot for $20.

Brins, Aran, Broncorm, thank you for your support!

Beekeeping Today very recently recorded a podcast from Dr. Jerry Bromenshenk and Dr. David Firth, two of the Bee Health Guru team, talking about the app.

That podcast can be listened to here: http://beekeepingtodaypodcast.com/dr-jerry-bromenshenkdr-david-firth-bee-health-guru-uom-master-beekeeper-program-026?fbclid=IwAR1O3yQ6wwUIJdmGCgbI5uFBzrO41BOAl2QDd 0nTjBi7xONCTMwY8OHLFkI

Beekeeping Today.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyNJ View Post
    Interesting. Who are you to tell me that ?.
    some one who has seen the app in action
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyNJ View Post
    Interesting. Who are you to tell me that ?
    here you go you wanted some proof, so I went and found it for you

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=449107495899610
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    some one who has seen the app in action
    You have seen the app in action ? Let me quote your earlier "review"...

"we used the app to pic a hive out of the hives assigned to me. can't remember what the app said as I was doing other things. The hive picked was an ankle biter queen, that an alcohol wash had extremely high mite count enough that I asked the guy who's hives they were to go get some MAQ pro from the back of my truck and we treated it. the hives next to it were fine for a mite count. not sure if the app actually said it had high mites or a problem, I wasn't running the phone. I'll try and find the pictures of the test and the mites if that will help you."

Excellent review you got there.

I still dont see any field test trials from the OP or anyone associated with the project. If this would have been someone selling "treatment free" stuff, this same crowd would have eaten them alive and accuse them of scamming new beekeepers. But hey, who cares about field tests or data to back up, as long as someone got some PhDs, right ?

This thread gave me lot of hope about starting some projects on Kickstarter. Who knows, I may get an Blockchain backed, AI driven, Crowd Sourced, Socially Driven, Crypto currency backed App that tells whats wrong with your hives. You dont have to open the hives, in-fact you don't have to go anywhere near the hives. You may not even have hives but you can still use my app. It can diagnose and tell you exact virtual diagnosis of your virtual hives.

I just have to come with a name as good as this project.
    Last edited by DaisyNJ; 05-24-2019 at 09:47 PM.

This has got to be a joke ! -- Just when I thought I saw it all !

Daisy....I have to say, I was overly tired of your posts by page 2. It's obvious you're not interested....just let it go. So I skip all the way to bottom of page 6 and BOOM...you're still at it. I no understand.

Everyone has the right to post their opinion of this device/system/app in this thread.

In the same manner that some of you are urging a member to stop posting in this thread, you are equally free to stop reading the posts that you don't like. Its OK to bury your head in the sand if you want!

Its NOT OK to make personal attacks on a member for simply expressing their opinion.

I have already removed one offensive attack. Additional attacks will be visibly flagged as deleted.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Everyone has the right to post their opinion of this device/system/app in this thread.

In the same manner that some of you are urging a member to stop posting in this thread, you are equally free to stop reading the posts that you don't like. Its OK to bury your head in the sand if you want!

Its NOT OK to make personal attacks on a member for simply expressing their opinion.
    can't say it any better than that. x2
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

Opinions, both positive and negative, are part of the vetting process. If the product can't stand the scrutiny, so be it. Personally, I am pretty excited about the possibilities and I respect the credentials of the folks behind this app. Let the good time roll!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post

In the same manner that some of you are urging a member to stop posting in this thread, you are equally free to stop reading the posts that you don't like. Its OK to bury your head in the sand if you want! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Its NOT OK to make personal attacks on a member for simply expressing their opinion. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/nonono.gif[/IMG]

I have already removed one offensive attack. Additional attacks will be visibly flagged as deleted.

10-4. (I doubt I was the only one thinking it) sorry

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast