Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Default Re: Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyNJ View Post
    When the project was first posted, the project stated that the money was going towards improving the app. Then its updated to show its going to A individual. Kickstarter projects don't typically raise money to PAY A INDIVIDUAL.
    If that INDIVIDUAL is an AI consultant, I have a hard time understanding your grievance with this. They were raising money to pay for something, right? Something to make the app better? More reliable? Probably hard to find all subject matter experts --entomology, app developer, AI designer -- in one person. Perhaps they are outsourcing that component?

I have my doubts about this thing. But I am guessing that people had their doubts back in the early 20th century, when a guy in lederhosen claimed he could pinpoint the direction and distance of a nectar source from a hive based on forager bee gyrations within the darkness of a box. Sound indicators seem less far-fetched to me than this.

Stranger things than this have panned out in the past. Most don't. But I like to be supportive of those I deem are making a serious effort at innovation. I liked the Flow Hive concept. Never bought one. Never looked into buying one. But a group of people put a hell of a lot of time and effort into its design and development. My understanding is that it is not that great of a product. But I never understood the people shouting them down from Day 1, acting like it was some type of apostasy to beekeeping. Christ, it is hard enough bringing new ideas to market.

1 breakthrough for every 100 ideas would be successful in my book. Maybe something comes out of the research. Perhaps not a magic wand that diagnoses a hive from the comfort of your couch. But something.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Smartphone app that listens to bees to tell you what health issues they have

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyNJ View Post
    When the project was first posted, the project stated that the money was going towards improving the app. Then its updated to show its going to A individual. Kickstarter projects don't typically raise money to PAY A INDIVIDUAL.
    I recall reading--before donating--that the Kickstarter clearly said the money would go toward a data analytics pro. I do not think that was a change after it was funded.

And in fact, it says both: the specific use of the money (data analytics) and a general pledge: "100% of the money raised will go to making improvements to the app."

Perhaps we should pause and check ourselves before accusing others of dishonesty. Because, you know, that's...dishonest.
    Last edited by milan37; 06-03-2019 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Added additional text from Kickstarter

some people believe.
    Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban contends artificial intelligence, or AI, will transform our way of life.
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/m...191303230.html
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Anyone get their software yet?

From David's email to the kickstarter participants dated June 10, 2019:

Bee Health Guru supporters,

We know you are very anxious to get your Bee Health Guru app, and we are just as anxious to get it to you. As we said in the Kickstarter campaign, we are planning on getting this out to you in July, and indeed we are on track to get your pre-release version of the app out to you by the end of the second week of July. If we can, we will get it to you sooner.

We will keep you updated each week with progress.

Cheers,

The Bee Health Guru Team

I am not looking for the app to be released for another week or two (or three).
    Would be nice to get an update though. 18 days and counting since the last one is not exactly weekly.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post

I am not looking for the app to be released for another week or two (or three).
    Would be nice to get an update though. 18 days and counting since the last one is not exactly weekly.
    Yeah the silence is disconcerting...

Another software project heading towards missing its deadline..

If you contributed to the BHGA kickstarter, check your emails. The program is available for download. I installed it on my Samsung J3 and did not have any technical issues. Hope to try it this afternoon on a few hives, including a few splits that are known to only have a virgin queen. There is a recommendation to use a better microphone than what is built into the phone. Add another $50-80. Really?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    There is a recommendation to use a better microphone than what is built into the phone. Add another $50-80. Really?
    well why not do an experiment, try it with the phones mircophone and get an add on and share the results? it's always better for one to try it than everyone, and we elect you I would but they keep telling me my flip phone doesn't have enough umph.
    mike syracuse ny

Gee, um, thanks? Maybe I need a go fund me page?

I wonder how much propolis I am going to get on my phone until I can get the new mic?

I like the #1 on recent update on downloading and using the app. We are not responsible for any health issues of your bees, including death, swarming, colony collapse, or issues arising from treatments as a result of any suggestions provided by the Bee Health Guru smartphone app, the Bee Health Guru team, or any answers posted in the accompanying BeeHealth.Guru online forum.
    The app told me I had foul brood on 3 of my hives, so I burned my whole apiary. This app has helped tons thanks guys

Hey remember this is the USA the land of the free and the home of most of the lawyers in the world. I dont think anyone can sue me for saying that

well lets see how this thing does. interested what it says for those that parted with the cash. hopefully some experienced beeks can compare it to what is really happening and give a report.
    Terrence

if you go to bee-l under a thread called Re: Bee Phone App there is information regarding the new release
    mike syracuse ny

I have performed 13 scans. Two were on hives I knew to be queenless, but it registered the possibility of queenlessness at less than 5% on each. That being said, they have both been queenless a couple of weeks now and I understand that queenless bees settle down a bit over time and may not make a distinct sound as they did when they first became queenless.

I will continue to play with the app and try to give feedback to the developers. If they can dial in just a single ailment or status that they can reliably indicate through a smart phone, I think the whole project will be a success.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    I have performed 13 scans. Two were on hives I knew to be queenless, but it registered the possibility of queenlessness at less than 5% on each. That being said, they have both been queenless a couple of weeks now and I understand that queenless bees settle down a bit over time and may not make a distinct sound as they did when they first became queenless.

I will continue to play with the app and try to give feedback to the developers. If they can dial in just a single ailment or status that they can reliably indicate through a smart phone, I think the whole project will be a success.
    sounds like you are making excuses for its failure. Heck i can tell when one is queenless by the sound this miracle should definitely be able to.

figured for as many believers there were here ya'll would have run out and been amazed at the results. This time of year it should be hitting varoa dead on the money if it was working.
    Terrence

I'm very hopeful about this new tool and congrats to whoever is making it.

But there is one concern.

If this is a sound diagnostic tool, it would need to be able to not confuse or cross signals when a hive is very large and be able to function on both a small hive and up to a really big big hive without a LOT of bees sending false signals. So if the hive is really big will the diagnostic still work? What do you think about this issue? (Some beeks have hives as tall as they are. And this is the goal for many beeks, having big successful hives.)

I am a bit reluctant to add to this (sounds a bit like whining)
    I do have some personal experience, not the app, which I refuse to use,,
    but the website. I have been "permanently banned" ,, a rather dis-proportionate response
    to my suggestion (when there was a distribution snafu) to offer apks
    (obviously only to the right people, and with a check box,, personal use, no redistribution)

BUT, what really pissed me off, not only no notice, but when I sent 4 emails
    over the course of 2 weeks (asking why?) I got zero response

And then today (sometimes I am a bit slow),, wondering why on earth,
    I realized,, he is 70, maybe this is an early symptom of dementia,, too bad
    Anyway, this is the type of situation that I back away from, avoid having anything
    to do with. So, I have NOT used the app and am not likely to do so

After all, I have had bees for 40 years, got through the tough last 12 years of ccd,
    I am sure I can continue if I can lift the boxes (nowdays a bit doubtful)
    I have to get more medium equipment

It's a good start, but there is a long way to go. Unfortunately, it does not detect beekeeper stupidity, which takes many of us a while to get over. It might be very helpful to any newbie beeks who jumped in and became commercial enterprise with less than 5 years experience.

i never got the app to download although im getting a bunch of follow up emails with tips how to use the app.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast