Over winter in 8 frame medium

Default Over winter in 8 frame medium

I’m in Georgia and I’m thinking about doing a split of my strongest hive and try to overwinter some nucs in 8 frame mediums. Anyone had success at this? Tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Over winter in 8 frame medium

In my mind, a single 8 frame medium is not a nuc, it is a too small hive. If you are running medium frames, use two 5 frame medium boxes for the nucleus colony. I winter my nucs in single deeps, 5 frames with a feeder on top, but have built the double mediums for a friend.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    In my mind, a single 8 frame medium is not a nuc, it is a too small hive. If you are running medium frames, use two 5 frame medium boxes for the nucleus colony. I winter my nucs in single deeps, 5 frames with a feeder on top, but have built the double mediums for a friend.
    I see what you are saying. But isn’t a 8 frame medium the same volume as a 5 frame deep?

You may be correct I might have more success doing 5 over 5 mediums.

yes, you could overwinter an 8 frame medium in GA. I've done it a time or two in coastal VA. I frequently overwinter 5 frame deep nucs.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    yes, you could overwinter an 8 frame medium in GA. I've done it a time or two in coastal VA. I frequently overwinter 5 frame deep nucs.
    how do you set up the box? like 2 or three frames of food? how much do you need each one to weigh to get through winter?

The small box volume doesn't allow you to put all the food in there at once. Mine all get a sugar brick in November and I replace as needed. I will also give syrup on our warm days (and we have plenty of warm winter days in coastal VA). The real trick is making sure there are enough "warm bodies" for the week or two of real winter in Jan when the temps go down to the 20's and stay for a few days. Pushing the nucs together so not all the sides are exposed is helpful. Also insulation on the top. Not all of them make it. I've been known to keep the small remains of the cluster with mated queen in my house in a butterfly habitat for 4 weeks until they can go back outside.

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

Quote Originally Posted by beedawg9 View Post
    Iím in Georgia and Iím thinking about doing a split of my strongest hive and try to overwinter some nucs in 8 frame mediums. Anyone had success at this? Tips?
    I use 10 frame equipment, but accidentally acquired 5 or so 8 frame boxes when I was getting started 3 yrs ago. All medium. I use the 8 frame boxes for nucs, and overwintered one last year using a shim and sugar brick. It did ok and quickly grew to packed status and would have been easy to let swarm. Just got to keep an eye on the population, they can quickly grow too packed.