What Happened to these bees - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What Happened to these bees

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Did you have any sudden swings in temps recently? It looks like a moisture or heat issue.
    None. My other two apiaries each within 5 miles of the one that dies, and each containing 15 hives are doing fine. and have honey supers on them that are over half full already.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Weren't you just trying to sell frames of drawn comb? Were those frames from these hives?

looks like someone dumped gas on them.
    Nick

>I just sent a sample to Beltsville. for all 15 hives to have blocked entrances would be unbelievable. All had both top and bottom entrances and were clear. I burned all 15 hives just in case. It is a shame though.

Over reacting a bit?
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

I have never seen nor heard anything like 15 hives dying, bees all in place, within a week in the same yard. I keep all my bees around big ag and I usually roll my eyes when people want to blame pesticides. But I just can't see anything other than pesticide poisoning or intentional poisoning of your hives. Mites, foulbrood, blocked entrances, even starvation are just hard to believe with such a massive die off so quickly.

I'm sorry Illbeedan. That is a very hard loss to take.

i would guess these bees were exposed to something. For 15 hives to just up and die en masse likel this with food stores evident? Seems likely to be an insecticide.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    >I just sent a sample to Beltsville. for all 15 hives to have blocked entrances would be unbelievable. All had both top and bottom entrances and were clear. I burned all 15 hives just in case. It is a shame though.

Over reacting a bit?
    Do not know what killed them. I am not about to expose my other hives to whatever it is, nor my neighbors bees or the wild hives within the area. Caution is Never an overreaction. I can afford new equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hankinohio18 View Post
    Weren't you just trying to sell frames of drawn comb? Were those frames from these hives?
    Do not Know, they could be, I do not mark what hive my extracted honeycomb came from. They rarely go back in the same boxes or ten lots.

Quote Originally Posted by I'llbeedan View Post
    it is comb from extracted honey supers last fall. It has been cleaned by the bees removed again and spritzed with BT for winter storage. it is first crop clean yellow wax.
    I burned all 15 hives just in case. It is a shame though.
    None. My other two apiaries each within 5 miles of the one that dies, and each containing 15 hives are doing fine. and have honey supers on them that are over half full already.

But thanks for answering the question at hand!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12