Prep for end of season

Default Prep for end of season

Greetings all. Into year three as a beek. Constantly learning, and these guys teach me something new all the time.

Been a big year : had my first honey last fall - this year has brought my first dead out, first split, first swarm, and also first swarm recovery (x2) this year. Went from 2-1-3-4-5 hives now the last two being recovered swarms. Main 3 hives making honey and seemingly good - the two swarms seem to be stable and laying down wax/comb as fast as ever.

What I'm now perplexed with is my plans for going into the winter. With 2 hives - good solid honey production on one, I had space, storage, and equipment to pare down, but I'm now trying to figure out what to do with "extras" from 5 hives for the winter.

My mentor drops everything back to nuc size boxes - but i'm planning on aiming to stay in my 8F medium (3/5 with deeps as brood chamber) system. Does everyone end up with some occupied freezer space of "bee stuff?" - I dont feel like thats the case. I guess I'm struggling to ask - what the heck do you all do with the extra stuff - obviously fully capped honey frames I processed, but I had a bunch of half capped, not dried honey last year, and now with way more hives, I feel like I'm going to have a WHOLE lot more of those.

I may need another freezer - the wife enables the bee hobby - but last year two supers in the freezer did not go over well.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Prep for end of season

I've had a super of honey sitting in the freezer since last July. I did my extraction and cleaned all of the equipment and then found a hive that still had a filled super on it. Rather than getting the extraction equipment out again, I put the frames in the chest freezer and will wait until I extract this year's honey. I have 2 chest freezers now. Every time I tell my wife, "this freezer is for bee frames", somehow, food, freezer packs and ice packs make it to each freezer.
    You are correct to keep the bees in your 8F boxes instead of moving them to nucs. Moving them to nucs creates another problem of storing brood frames without them getting ruined by was moths.

Yeah a second freezer may be prudent.

Do you freeze the frames of uncapped honey as well?