Quote Originally Posted by funwithbees View Post
Hi everyone,
I have spent time in the mountains of Nepal working with apis cerana cerana and apis cerana indica. They average 2 KG of honey per year. Would bee the same here in the US. They are not resistant to varroa mites. Beekeepers there treat,during non swarmy years. Most years the colonies swarm multiple times, reducing the mite pressure.( see Tom Seeleys research-small colonies,swarmy). Part of the reason russian bees are somewhat resistant-very swarmy bees.
Apis cerana is not the bee for us if you want to make a living, or even some honey for your family!
besides being illegal. Our govt has better things to spend money on anyway.

Nick
gridleyhollow.com
In this article it says that in China the Asian honey bees yield on average 15 to 20 KG of honey annually: https://www.apidologie.org/articles/..._1_ART0002.pdf

Of course as I wrote before on this topic, A. mellifera are supposed to make more than the often quoted 50-60 lb of honey a year, so 15-20 KG is still much less than what European honey bees can make in a year, but just have 4 times the amount of hives to compensate. Now that I have thought about it, because Asian honey bees have a smaller foraging range, you would need more apiaries for Asian honey bees than European honey bees. That might be harder to deal with since you have to visit more apiaries. Maybe it could work out to raise the two species of honey bees in the same apiary to get different types of forage (Asian honeybees getting sparse forage while European honeybees getting the abundant foraging areas.). I think it would be easier to move smaller Asian honey bee colonies than very heavy European honey bee colonies.