Just interrupted a cub's training session ...

Default Just interrupted a cub's training session ...

I had some dead out (DO) NUCs outside my electrified bee yard to be cleaned up and when I looked out I saw Mama bear taking the opportunity to instruct junior on the size, shape, smell, etc. of a "safe" bee hive that contained no live buzzy bees. Unfortunately when I garbed my camera and went outside Mama decided class was over - at least for the moment, and headed up mountain. Junior was just born this past winter.

, Wildlife, Bears, Cub, 17 May 2019.jpg,Wildlife, Bear, 3 in 2 Days, Cub, 17 May 2019.PNG

Cheers,
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Just interrupted a cub's training session ...

Reminds me of living up outside Nederlad, around Ward, CO when I had bees up there, had local Moose, and cougars that would visit the property.
    DavidZ

Urgh. Bears! I made a similar mistake last year which got the attention of our neighborhood bear(s). Prior to this boneheaded move, I had no problem with bears, but I knew they were "out there". I took off some supers with capped honey and there were still quite a few bees in them (used a triangle board). It was getting late so I had the brilliant idea (NOT) to bring them up to the house and set them on a spare bottom board and the triangle board outside so they would go back to their hives at night and be all clear for me to extract the next day. The next day I had nothing to extract and a bunch of busted up frames and boxes. J

I would move those boxes inside the fence ASAP. You do not want to encourage the bears to start going after your hives if they get a taste for honey.

Bears never forget a food source.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"