Apivar Treatment Timing

Question Apivar Treatment Timing

I just started my nuc the last week of April and it was treated with one strip of Apivar when I received it.

I just added a second deep box last week and want to know should I add the Apivar strip to the second box now on foundation or should I wait to have the bees draw out comb first?

Should I wait for my queen to lay eggs first?

Should I replace the first Apivar strip that the nuc came with?
    Clark Westfied 1st year beekeeper
    Bass player

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Apivar Treatment Timing

Have you done some mite monitoring to get a handle on whether you need to continue to treat, particularly with Apivar which can't be used with honey supers and has a longish black-out period for supers even after you take the strips out.

Mite treatment is not done continuously, mite monitoring is (or ought to be, IMO).

Also with Apivar, it's important to take the strips out on time, and not leave them in indefinitely as that can speed up development of resistance, which is shared problem.

While you may not be expecting to get some honey this year, there is always that possibility, but not if you have Apivar in the hive during the flow. IIRC it's a 56-day cycle from installation of the strips to being able to collect honey (for human use). But you should check the instructions. You leave the strips on for 42 days, then wait 14 days before placing any honey supers. So you need to know when the strips went on, which your nuc supplier can tell you.

Also be aware that there are other very-similarly named treatments: Apiguard, Apivar-Life, etc. Dumb idea to name them all nearly the same, when the active ingredients, treatment protocols, etc are so different, IMO.

Nancy

Do not add a strip to the newly installed foundation.
    Do not replace the original strip.
    If you can determine how long the existing strip has been in the nuc, calculate a time that is about 6 to 8 weeks after that date and remove the strip then.
    If you cannot figure out how long it has been in the nuc, my rule of thumb is....'when in doubt, take it out'.
    Then...follow Nancy's advice.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Just to add to what the others said, Apivar will do you little good on plain foundation, iirc, the instructions say it MUST be in the brood area to expose as many nurse bees as possible to be effective.
    Since Apivar is a contact Rx, the nurse bees walk on it and disperse it, where as Rx such as Apigaurd are a gel type that bees actively remove, thus tracking it around the hive.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”