First split today.

Default First split today.

I got a queen from Singing Cedars Apiaries in the mail today and I split my one and only hive today at 1:00 PM. Sunny and warmest part of the day at 61 degrees. I sandwiched her cage between a row of capped brood with some honey on the top 1 inch and a half capped frame. They are deep frames. Original hive making about 4 queen cells on one frame. I am going to leave the queen cells there in case the hive is queen less. I did not take time to find the queen. I am also not good at that. Put a total of 7 frames in. One complete frame with capped honey. I plugged the entrances so it is kind of like a nuc for a day or two and will remove the entrance plug Saturday morning. Do I stand a prayer of having this split work? It is about 50 yards from the original hive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: First split today.

Hi Blk. Instead of trying to find the queen, look for eggs. If you find eggs, she has been there recently. Little hard to tell, but it sounds like you did ok. Just having a hard time with what you did with each half of the split. I see no reason and possible bad consequences plugging the entrances and I would be sure they are open by tomorrow morning if you can't do it now. For one thing, you are leaving lots of foragers locked out. J

Thanks FiveJ, I only sealed the entrances to the new split with the new queen. Left old original hive (that I took split from, open) Going to take duct tape off the entrance of new split just before dark tonight. Thought it might give some of the older guards or foragers a chance to stick with the new queen rather than high tail it back to the original queen.

"Bee Keeping is 33% science, 33% experience and the rest is all luck"

I checked infront of the hive today without disturbing it. I have a few bees leaving and a few bees coming into the hive so I think they may at least be foraging for this new split. Hopefully they are not all going to high tail it for the original hive 75 yards away.

WOW, Can anyone tell me what is going on? First split had a few bees going in and out a few days ago and then NOTHING, no sign of bees this Saturday. On Sunday, we had about 500 bees crawling all over the outside of the hive but not going in. What is going on? Could they be hatches from the brood come I put in and they are getting oriented?