TEMP QUEEN STRIPS and mated queen introduction

Default TEMP QUEEN STRIPS and mated queen introduction

I have had a temp queen strip (QMP) in a queenless hive for about 2 days and have the mated queen in hand. Do I need to wait to place the queen cage in the hive after I remove the temp queen strip or can the cage go in right after I remove the strip?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: TEMP QUEEN STRIPS and mated queen introduction

She can go right in. I once made the mistake of leaving the QMP strip in for 5 weeks after I added a queen (hot hive, wasn't digging through the frames for nothing). They took to her just fine and the QMP strip was on the bottom of the hive instead of tacked to the frames where it had been before. Almost like the bees saw it as the "inferior queen" and had balled it.

Default Re: TEMP QUEEN STRIPS and mated queen introduction

I wish i knew more about the QMP, whether it is a generic qmp pheromone so the bees sense there is enough present but dont really bond to the scent.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    She can go right in. I once made the mistake of leaving the QMP strip in for 5 weeks after I added a queen (hot hive, wasn't digging through the frames for nothing). They took to her just fine and the QMP strip was on the bottom of the hive instead of tacked to the frames where it had been before. Almost like the bees saw it as the "inferior queen" and had balled it.