Laying worker photo

Default Laying worker photo

Had a nuc that was made from a split that has been queen-less for too long, so they finally went Laying worker. I attached a photo for others to see.
    this was a 5 frame nuc that was just getting smaller and smaller with 2 unsuccessful queen cell adds. I dumped the bees into the yard, which created quite the buzzing cloud of bees, and removed the box. 2 frames with just food went to another nuc that was next to it, the three that had eggs I think I will just let them die out and then put them into another box.

Within an hour, the cloud of bees was gone and the other nuc box was noticeably more packed.

IMG_6029.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Laying worker photo

Quote Originally Posted by dddillon View Post
    Had a nuc that was made from a split that has been queen-less for too long, so they finally went Laying worker. I attached a photo for others to see.
    this was a 5 frame nuc that was just getting smaller and smaller with 2 unsuccessful queen cell adds. I dumped the bees into the yard, which created quite the buzzing cloud of bees, and removed the box. 2 frames with just food went to another nuc that was next to it, the three that had eggs I think I will just let them die out and then put them into another box.

Within an hour, the cloud of bees was gone and the other nuc box was noticeably more packed.

IMG_6029.jpg
    Classic! Can anybody pick out the wannabees?
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Classic! Can anybody pick out the wannabees?
    On the bright side, they had a great laying pattern. Totally carpeted the three frames with eggs. side to side top to bottom,
    didn't miss a cell with at least 4 or 5 eggs
    Last edited by dddillon; 05-15-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Those in that pic are all on the bottoms of the cells instead of on the side walls like laying workers.Looks kind of like a young queen with no other room to lay.Anyway somebody has a tail long enough to reach the bottom.

How long has the split been queenless? It could go 4-5 weeks after a split before a laying queen.

With that number of eggs most of the workers you see would be laying workers. At least half...

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00299895
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by dddillon View Post

IMG_6029.jpg

Great picture!!