different size deep horizontal hives - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: different size deep horizontal hives

Quote Originally Posted by ursa_minor View Post
    Yes!!!!, that makes perfect sense, I was considering a spacer but when Greg talked about alignment I realized that getting each screw head to line up with the other could be troublesome. Putting them as you do makes perfect sense.
    My recommended spacers are just wooden pieces stapled to the side bars.
    This is very similar to Hoffman frame style, except made from wood scraps (no fidgeting with the Hoffman-style side bar cutting) - absolutely unnecessary.
    With the stapled spacers you are not concerned with perfect alignment - you will get it with no special efforts.

Of course, I cheat every time I can get away with it, being lazy, cheap, and short on time.
    I reuse Lang equipment and take advantage of what is there for taking - like the built-in spacing.
    20190815_191257.jpg
    20190815_182059.jpg
    20190815_191315.jpg
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ursa_minor View Post
    Yes!!!!, that makes perfect sense, I was considering a spacer but when Greg talked about alignment I realized that getting each screw head to line up with the other could be troublesome. Putting them as you do makes perfect sense.
    Like most people I considered screw head-to-head contact, but ruled it out as being too hard to accomplish.

There is one caveat in the use of an adjustable screw approach, and that is the top bar widths MUST be identical (well, within say +/- 1.0 mm) - because the frame spacing is made-up of both the exposed screw length AND the top bar width. So - if you had, say, a 20mm wide top bar, next to a 25mm wide top bar, and took up the difference using different screw lengths, then one of those top bars is going to be angled somewhat across the box. So - it's necessary to keep top bar widths the same - or very nearly so.

Position of the screws ? They need to outside of the comb field, else combs risk getting 'scraped' when withdrawing the frames, unless you're VERY careful. When making frames which are to co-exist with existing Hoffman-spaced frames, I insert the screws just outside of the side bars.
    'best,
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Thank you both, you have saved me a lot of frustration that I would have had if I did not set up a system to feed the bees properly. I am glad I asked the question before my bees arrived, they come in a week or two.

I have already set up the router to modify my frames and I am going to make my new ones with the open spacing.

Before I use either the screws or the wood spacers I will double check that the top bars are all the same width.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123