green marked queen in my swarm trap

Default green marked queen in my swarm trap

I was moving a swarm I trapped into a full sized hive. I spotted the queen. Hard to miss. Green dot.
    So much for swarm management a la beemandan.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: green marked queen in my swarm trap

Whoops..... It happens I sent one off this year as well maybe more than that.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

grn dot queen 2019.jpg

Holy cats Dan, same swarm management concept here. She took off a week ago and made good time to get all the way to Athens that quick! Can you get her a bus ticket and send her back home? LOL
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Truth be told I know that most of the swarms I trap are from my own hives. Also, I actually think that my swarm management is improving. Two years ago I caught 18. Last year 10. So far this year 4. All the same, when I saw that green mark…..I said bad things.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Truth be told I know that most of the swarms I trap are from my own hives. Also, I actually think that my swarm management is improving. Two years ago I caught 18. Last year 10. So far this year 4. All the same, when I saw that green mark…..I said bad things.
    Yeah, I hate throwing swarms! Drawn comb is a beekeepers best friend and I still need alot more!
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

That's the only reason I'd consider marking a queen. Sometimes it's difficult to tell which hive they've come from, or if they're feral bee's. Marking kind of solves that issue.

I recently had a newly mated queen decide she wanted to move. I think she ended up in my swarm box, so I have left it alone for 5+ days to get them established before moving them. Yesterday, no bees sighted. What the heck! I may be better off not having her genetics around. I think it is responsible to have swarm traps around to catch your own swarms. Keeps things friendlier with the neighbors.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

It's easier than trying to get them out of the trees so just think of it as your Integrated Swarm Management (ISM).

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCreek View Post
    That's the only reason I'd consider marking a queen. Sometimes it's difficult to tell which hive they've come from, or if they're feral bee's. Marking kind of solves that issue.
    Another reason, in my opinion. I have a four year old queen in one of my hives. I wouldn't know that without her being marked.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Another reason, in my opinion. I have a four year old queen in one of my hives. I wouldn't know that without her being marked.
    I've never had a 4 yr. old queen that still had paint on her thorax. I'd refer to notes in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCreek View Post
    I've never had a 4 yr. old queen that still had paint on her thorax. I'd refer to notes in that case.
    I'm not sure what notes you are referring to. I have had several queens last into their fourth year.....marks intact. I've never had one go to five.
    More often than not my queens will have swarmed before their fourth year but occasionally they haven't or I've caught the swarm.

Notes don't identify a queen, just records one was present. I started marking so I can tell if the queen is the original queen I noted or had been superseded/swarmed. Also started clipping in case the mark "wore" off and/or to help increase the probability I might retrieve the swarm if she did swarm.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw