Adding queen cell to an existing hive?

Default Adding queen cell to an existing hive?

Today was the big day! I moved the capped queen cells from my grafts to 3 frame mini's when the calendar told me to do it. I have been using one of my dud hives for donor frames and young bees. Today I finished that hive off by breaking it down. I left a nuc and the remaining frames/bees in the spot where the hive was.

The problem that I had was that I was unable to find the queen while moving frames to the new boxes. I may, or may not, have left the queen in the original spot in essence making a flyback split. But, I may have also moved her to one of the mating nucs.

Not that I care a whole lot, but what would happen if the queen was in one of the mating nucs? Will she break down the cell or will the virgin kill her? I figure at worst my odds are 1 in 4 of having her in the wrong place.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Adding queen cell to an existing hive?

When are the cells due to emerge? You might be able to figure out where the queen is before that happens. Right now you have a lot less bees in each nuc, maybe go through them again? Ultimately one queen will prevail if the old queen got put in a nuc with a capped cell. My guess is that it will be the virgin queen. I am a pro at moving the queen inadvertantly into a nuc that is supposed to be a walk away split so I know where you are coming from.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Default Re: Adding queen cell to an existing hive?

They are scheduled to hatch Thursday but I wouldn't be surprised if it is Friday. Tomorrow I coach a basketball game, Wed is supposed to be nice but I'd like to graft another batch now that my cell builder/finisher is vacant, and Thursday is basketball practice.

If she's in with a virgin, I'm rooting for the virgin. If she's in the original hive, I'm hoping they build out enough for me to steal more resources by June. After 2 years her hive didn't yield a drop of excess honey and is always the slowest to build up.

Grafting game is new to me, but fun.