New member question on tools

Default New member question on tools

Hey y'all, I'm STOKED. I robbed my first ever jars of honey this afternoon. AWESOME flavor. I did only one frame from the upper super, and did it by hand.
    b1.jpg
    b2.jpg
    b3.jpg
    b4.jpg

So seeing how long it took to do these 3 small jars, I figure I vetter go with the spinner. So my buddy saw my hive a few weeks ago and told me him and his dad use to do bees decades ago and he has one of them spinners and I could have it for free !!! Check this vintage jewel out. about 10 fast rotations of the handle and this baby is spinning as fast as a Rolls Royse RB-211 jet turbine !!!

b5.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New member question on tools

The question I have is which size (s) frames does this spinner hold? How many? and how does one attach them? here is the mount that was laying in the bottom of the basket
    DSC05538.JPG
    DSC05537.JPG

Your first honey is always the best !!! Without knowing the dimensions, and all , it's hard to say. I'd say either a 2 or 4 frame. Looks like some internals may be missing? I sure thunk someone on here would know better than me though. Looks kewl enough to do the job though.

I operate a machine/welding shop, I can make whatever parts are missing if someone has a picture. I saw one machine that had 10 frames vertical and looked like a sun ray pattern, but I could tell what the holding mechanism looks like. The basket is 13 1/2" x 13 1/2", holder is basically 12" x 12" square

just wanted to say welcome to beesource mutt, and congrats on your first honey!

i'm not sure how that extractor is supposed to work, but we have some folks on the forum that have been around bees much longer than i, and hopefully someone will know what's up with that.

(good job with the beetle traps by the way)
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks for the welcome. Looking at some vids on utube, you stand the frames up on end and spin the tub at a high rate of rpms and it slings the honey out against the walls of the tub then ya yet it sit for a few hours and open the drain into a 5 gallon bucket with a fairly fine wire mesh strainer, When that's done, you take away the strainer and pour the honey into clean jars.

does any one on here know where I can find the 5 gallon bucket and a wire mesh strainer that fits the top of the bucket?

That looks exactly like my extractor, and mine is older than me, and I am 52. It was my dad's. I still use it.

Just guessing, but I believe all the parts are there from what I see in the picture. Mine holds 4 deeps or medium frames. You place them inside the wire basket up against the sides and on top of that tic tac toe patterned holder.

When you spin it (after uncapping the honey) the force pulls the honey out of the cells and onto the walls of the barrel, which then drips down and settles on the bottom. I tip the back of mine up and open the honey gate and watch the honey come flowing!

You can pick up a 5 gallon bucket just about anywhere, but make sure it is food grade (not Home Depot marked or such). A strainer can be bought from any store selling bee supplies, or even on Amazon.

Welcome to the addiction, and good luck!
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Hi mutt, do you have any pics of the outside, with motor, ect. I'd like to build one like that. It is a 4 framer after all. Thanks lemmeje. Any specs are appreciated.. rich

would ya have a picture of your extractor with the frames in it? I found MannLake is pretty close to the house and they have everything I need.

Richinbama, this one is hand operated. Tell me what dimensions ya want and I'll take ya some pics and the dimensions.It's amazing how long this turns after cranking the handle real fast about 10 turns

One more thing, when you spin the frames, spin one side about half way, then flip the frames to extract from the other side, then flip them back to finish the first side. The reason for that is to preserve the wax. If you do it unevenly you may end up ruining the foundation. Course, that's not so much a concern with plastic foundation.

With radial extractors you don't have to flip the frames.

And Richinbama, I have often thought of rigging up some kind of motor on my extractor, even if just a fitting for a power drill, just have so many projects as it is that I never get to it. There are a lot of videos on youtube that show you how to build your own extractor, probably plans and dimensions out there, too.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson