Todays Honey Prices! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Howdy - new to the forum. Here’s a link to different unit prices for honey published by region. https://www.beeculture.com/regional-...rice-report-8/

The unit price per pound in my region is $6.37. However, I have an honor stand that I leave down by the highway and I easily get $10 per pound. Someone already said it, but the honey is worth what folks will pay for it and I sell out in just a few weeks every year at $10/lb.

Ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Todays Honey Prices!

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    If you are printing up a label for a pint jar I would suggest calling it 22 ozs. Its kind of tough to get a 24 oz. fill in a pint unless the honey is pretty cool and low moisture.
    Sectional density! most of my honey hits 22oz+ at the fill line in a pint mason jar. However, I do have one apiary where I capture a tree nectar based honey that will barely hit 20oz in a pint jar!

N.E. Pa. 7$ a pound plus 1$ for packaging ,,, check your local craigslist and Facebook market place for local pricing

I sell my one pound queenline jars for $8 and the two pound for $15. I remember when I started in 1976 selling the one pound jars for $1.50!

Is there a cheaper outlet to buy Queenline one pound glass jars than Mann Lake or Dadant?
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

I sell 1lb plastic jars with flip top lid for $10 and I cant keep up with the demand....

I visited the local farmers market here in East Tennessee today. Two guys were selling their quarts for $12. I'm selling mine for 1# for $8. 2# for $15 and quarts for $20. By the way, I'm using Golden harvest mason jars and it takes 48oz to fill them to the proper level.

Four dollars per pound (1 quart for $12) seems awfully cheap for any honey, locally produced or not. That is even less than my local supermaket sells the raw honey.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

$8 for a 1 pound bottle. I see a few places closer to $10 though, but $7-8 seems more common here.

JW, from what I remember we are not to far apart. I'm over in Kingsport

Quote Originally Posted by thehackleguy View Post
    If you are small (not much honey) and you don't NEED the $$. Provide some information about local honey benifits and start high. Might seem extreme but say $20/lb. You can always come down on the price (have a sale!) but rarely can go up unless it is a once a year and can explain it away "Well it was $6 last year but this year our packing cost increased so now it's $7" (you get the idea).

I know you can get that for it, several stores in my area sell local honey at that price and ppl buy it..... I wouldn't but I'm cheap [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

I mean some guy in the UK is selling cards with sugar water to feed to bees on the street for $5.00, you should be able to get $20.00 for some actual honey!
    I agree. If you are selling locally then just the novelty of someone buying honey from literally their own backyard seems like it would warrant a higher price. Some folks might say “why so high, it’s $7/lb in the supermarket.” Yes, but where is it coming from? Doubt it’s as local as this. And for this honey, the beekeeper is right here, talking to you. That too adds to the value.

I was thinking of doing 1/2lb for $7 and 1lb for $15. 20 seems high but then again I read an article about a beekeeper selling for $20lb and she felt terrible starting so high she but had reasons why it should be so high. She sold out of it instantly.

I regularly give away a pint jar to various coworkers each year. One of my friends wanted a second pint. I told him $15. He balked at that and then reminded me that he had hosted a swarm trap from which I got a nice swarm. I gave him the second jar. Most though do not even question the price and eagerly fork over the money.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Luckily being in an affluent area, I get $12 a pound, $10 for 12oz and sell out very quickly. Considering going up on price next year. Going to put out about 25# tomorrow and expect it to be sold within 2 weeks

stopper by a nearby stand recently and saw someone with maybe a 10 or 12oz glass skep jar of honey for 25 and I'm sure he gets it no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    But really, why would someone choose to sell at say $8 per pound if the market will bear $10 and all available product will sell?
    That's easy to describe. Use this example, I have 50lb of honey to sell, and if I take it to the market for 8 bucks it'll be gone in an hour, whereas if I price it at 10 bucks it'll take 6 hours to sell.

Free time is my most precious commodity around here, I'd much rather have the extra 5 hours, where I'm sure lots of folks would happily spend the 5 hours to net the extra hundred bucks. It's all perspective.

I guess it is all perspective. 5 hours, $100. 20 bucks an hour to do something you presumably like doing, not bad in my book. Of course this is also assuming one sets up at a farmer's market or swap meet. Honor stands and word of mouth type sales take no extra time at all. But I get your point. I turn down paying jobs so I can have a weekend off once in a while.

I hope they get this price. It makes my $8.00 pints look cheap.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace.../?ref=feed_rhc

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    I hope they get this price. It makes my $8.00 pints look cheap.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace.../?ref=feed_rhc

Alex
    Gasp. I'm with you--a rising tide lifts all boats, so I hope she can get that. But it's about 450% more expensive than my prices. I did sell out too quickly this year, so maybe I should take a note from her.

For the record, I do pints for $10 and quarts for $18. I've used those prices since switching from plastic containers to mason jars a few years ago. Plus I deliver to people's homes for free (and have an "honor box" out along my gravel road). The bottom line is that--unless I take that lady's strategy of pricing pints at $20--I know I'm not going to turn a profit until I get more free time and more hives, so I just look at honey sales as a way to subsidize my hobby, to provide a local service, and as an excuse to get out and meet nice folks in my area.
    Last edited by Bee Arthur; 09-02-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Bee Author
    You price is exactly the same as mine.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Bee Author
    You price is exactly the same as mine.
    Cheers
    gww
    Good thing, gww, since we're nearly neighbors. You and I are pricing a bit below the average here in Missouri based on what I see on Facebook. Then again, there are some people selling 5-gallon buckets of honey here on Craigslist for Walmart-like prices, so it's hard to know just where the sweet spot is.

1/2 pounders were getting $6 per glass jar. Jersey prices
    Clark Westfied 1st year beekeeper
    Bass player

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast