Todays Honey Prices! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Todays Honey Prices!

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorBob View Post
    Jim Lyon is correct. Weigh them. I put 22 oz. on my pint labels.

I'm in western New York - south of Buffalo, east of Erie, PA. $8/pint or $15/qt. Return the jar and it's a $1 off.
    I'm The same for pints, but i stayed linear, 8 a pint, 12 for a 1.5 pint and 16 for a quart. Close to out for the year (18) somewhat sell some of each, not real clear winner. Last year I sold out of pint first this year quarts. I "think" last years pint buyers are getting quarts this year so try then come back and stock up. had more than one person get a case of quarts, which i sell for 15 ea then 180 a box. this is in Michigan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by I'llbeedan View Post
    I am for the first time having enough honey to sell some. I am bottling it is 1 pound bottles. And I live in Pennsylvania but very close to both Ohio and New York. What are some of you other beekeepers getting for your honey in 1 pound bottles?
    Western Pa. is as follows -- $0.60 Per weight ounce ----- remember honey is 50% heaver than water ---- so a pint mason jar 16oz. liquid would weigh ruffly 24 oz. by honey weight [ Example : 24oz of honey x.60 would be $14.oo ] NOW remember to do this - nicer jars - nicer lables - and less than a pint ---- you charge $.70 per weight ounce ------ more than a pint you can lower your price to $.55 per liquid ounce ----------------- quick average price western pa, in mason jars unmarked ----------- quart 25.oo ----- pint $15.oo 1/2 pint [8 ounce]
    is $8,oo

I'm surprised at how much the price varies. Around here, about $10/pint and $18/quart, but there is an out-of-area guy dumping $15 quarts on the side of the road and local flea market.

Ditto on the comment regarding a pint of honey weighing 24 oz. You must fill it nearly to the rim to get 24oz in there. Many in my area short customers by only filling it to be above the bottom of the rim. A small food scale will verify your weight. Just tare it with the jar on and then start filling.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

I am really glad Lou pointed the weight issue out. An ounce of Honey is 1.5 times as heavy as 1 weight ounce. It is very confusing when you see honey for sale trying to figure out which ounce the bottle is referring to. Start high because cheap honey prices set a bad example for other beekeepers trying to sell their honey. For God's sake we are not communists.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    I'm surprised at how much the price varies. Around here, about $10/pint and $18/quart, but there is an out-of-area guy dumping $15 quarts on the side of the road and local flea market.

Ditto on the comment regarding a pint of honey weighing 24 oz. You must fill it nearly to the rim to get 24oz in there. Many in my area short customers by only filling it to be above the bottom of the rim. A small food scale will verify your weight. Just tare it with the jar on and then start filling.
    I am a little offended by your term "Dumping". I could just as easy use the words "ripping off" to describe others prices. I do appreciate your opinion. Here is mine, Honey is worth ex actually what 1) someone will pay for it . Or 2) what someone will ask. maybe this guy "Dumping" operates more efficiently than you do. He may build his own hives rather than buy, or do foundationless, rather than plasticell. Maybe rather than sell 3 quarts a day at 20 he would rather sell 300 in a weekend at 15, could be his time is more important. Maple Syrup is the same way here in Michigan it can be found for 15-24 a quart. each person has their own business model. the price should Vary, it is the american way. If he is taking a loss eventually he will not be selling any more. If you are asking too much, you will have lots left over. Market also matters, some shops in Traverse City can get 24, some places in Taylor Tucky may only get 15. IMO sell for what you think is right and Fair and "Allow" others the same freedom.
    GG

GG, dumping is an acurate term if someone comes into an area and sells a product at price well below the price established by the supply demand curve for that area. Does not mean that it is wrong to do so, in a free market one may buy or attempt to sell at any price. But really, why would someone choose to sell at say $8 per pound if the market will bear $10 and all available product will sell?

BTW, price is established by both a willing buyer and a willing seller. Not one OR the other. If I were to ask $1 per pound, that would not be a fair market price, just stupid.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 05-17-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

We get $12/lb for liquid honey and $12 for a 1/2 pint mason (12 oz) of creamed honey. You gotta getpeople to sample it, (the creamed honey, most people not familiar with it) then conversion rate near 100%. We used to sell out at $10/lb, now sell out at $12 lb. nobody blinked at $12/lb. One area we’re in we wholesale for $6 per 1/2 pound. Premium product = premium price, sell the sizzle....

Roughly $10/lb central IL

$9 - 12 oz bear
    25$ - glass quart (mason jar)

bulk is $10/lb (2 gallon bucket or more)

I match a good friend of mine who is also selling for this price. I generally sell about 150lbs ish a year at these prices.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    GG, dumping is an acurate term if someone comes into an area and sells a product at price well below the price established by the supply demand curve for that area. Does not mean that it is wrong to do so, in a free market one may buy or attempt to sell at any price. But really, why would someone choose to sell at say $8 per pound if the market will bear $10 and all available product will sell?

BTW, price is established by both a willing buyer and a willing seller. Not one OR the other. If I were to ask $1 per pound, that would not be a fair market price, just stupid.
    I respectfully disagree, what is happening is the market may be high enough you state 10$ a pound, where a "market Disrupter" can come in at 8$ If you do not want the 8$ person to come in then you are suggesting a "closed Market" If I can sell Hay for 20 $ a bale in the city and Can buy it for 5$ a bale in Montana, . I do that and sell for 15 in the city am I dumping or am I a good Bussiness man. To the locals who thought they had a 20$ market It looks like dumping. I guess it is perspective.
    Also I would agree 1$ a pound sounds stupid. we we talking 15 and 18 which is 1/5 or 1/6, difference again 17-20 percent that is not that big of a difference to term it dumping. So what if I am a queen raising operation and at the end of the year I "want" empty comb for the spring and i "Have" full and partly full combs of honey. I may extract and go for some cost relief to get queen rearing supplies for the next year. Sitting on the honey for 4 month to get "market" prices is also somewhat stupid for me. I would sell at a price that minimizes my time invested and gets me funds to go for my main goal.
    And if the market "WAS" 10 a pound and I "ASK" for 8 then I am establishing a new price point. sorry I assumed your buyers at 10 would also Buy at 8
    So I have seen Honey in town for 24 a quart, so i guess then I am a dumper.

GG dumping, till its gone. And proud of it. BTW I use child labor, My Kids, And Recycled Jars. So I guess My Model is just better than yours.
    Respectfully I do not mean to "overly excite" anyone. Beekeepers seem to all sing their own tune. I welcome the 24 A quart honey in town, mine just seems to sell even faster. If I could just figure our how to get them to raise their prices......... Its friday I'm teasing you JWP..

I thought dumping was selling a subsidized product at less than cost. What y'all are talking about is a free market enterprise.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Its all good, I understand humor. I also understand economics, having a BS in Finance and all. As far as getting more than what most would consider fair market value, ever seen how much Yankee Candle sells honey for? Yikes!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Greg Goose, I was using the economic term dumping, not using the term as a derogatory. While the term is most commonly used in international trading, it can be used on a smaller scale. It simply refers to when businesses lower the sales price of their exports to gain unfair market share. Companies will sometimes use the tactic to put others out of business and therefore eliminate the competition. It is a tactic used in free market economies.

AHudd, the term does not require government subsidizing, but that is often a tactic used by countries like China.

JWPalmer, Thank you for helping define my use of the term. It has been a few years, so please correct me if I have misspoken. Yes, Yankee Candles blow my mind every time I see their prices.

Greg Goose, I was using the economic term dumping, not using the term as a derogatory. While the term is most commonly used in international trading, it can be used on a smaller scale. It simply refers to when businesses lower the sales price of their exports to gain unfair market share. Companies will sometimes use the tactic to put others out of business and therefore eliminate the competition. It is a tactic used in free market economies.

AHudd, the term does not require government subsidizing, but that is often a tactic used by countries like China.

JWPalmer, Thank you for helping define my use of the term. It has been a few years, so please correct me if I have misspoken. Yes, Yankee Candles blow my mind every time I see their prices.
    Jadeguppy , Understood. Still some what think that the guy at the side of the road was not "trying to gain unfair market share" unless he was from a corporation from China. Maybe we can agree on "he was taking advantage of the very nice market price in your area"
    I see some Ozark Chemical free wild honey out there at a very nice market price as well.

It simply refers to when businesses lower the sales price of their exports to gain unfair market share.
    DavidZ

This discussion reminds me of an old joke.

Fellow walks into a bakery and asks how much an apple pie costs. The baker responds, "Ten dollars". Fellow says, "The bakery across the street is selling them for eight dollars. The baker tells him to go across the street and buy one from his competitor. The guys says, "I can't, he does not have any apple pies".

If you are worried about someone under selling you, let them sell out at a lower margin and then sell yours for a fair price. My local grocery store sells raw unfiltered honey for a lot less than I do. Not a problem in my mind. How many of us hobby beekepers have any unsold honey at the end of the season?

Based on what I am seeing here it may be time to raise prices. Good discussion. I am about sold out, less than 2 cases of mixed sizes. lots near me lost bees last winter so maybe less on the market this year.
    GG

I specifically left out the adjective, Governmental, because subsidies come from many sources. Company to company, from one dept to another in a single company, etc. Loss leader products and so on.

I do agree that Governmental subsidies are a dominate topic in the news, lately.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Fwiw, I didn't go into other details about the guy because I wasn't intending to get into that discussion since this thread was about pricing. It was merely and observation on pricing issues. There are other factors that concern me about the particular seller that are off topic. However, I do not plan to change my prices as I am not currently concerned about not being able to sell all my honey and I have other selling points that my customers like such as not using chemicals, organic or otherwise, on my hives and promoting sustainable husbandry. I have been lucky enough not to deal with efb at this point and may have to change that selling point if I run into something beyond varroa that requires medical treatment. Unfortunately, I am in an area that dozens of big rigs go through about 30 miles north of me to get to pollination jobs. I am thinking of trying to infuse some honey this summer as another selling option. Chili peppers may be my first pick. Does anyone else infuse and how much extra do you charge for infused honey?

I'm in the panhandle of NW FL. I sell my wildflower honey for $0.75/oz. I sell in the 8oz ($6), 12oz ($9), and 1lb ($12) plastic bottles from Lappes Bee Supply. I charge more for my infused honey.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast