Todays Honey Prices! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Todays Honey Prices!

Alaska beekeepers in the Anchorage area, are getting $25 a pint and $45 a qrt

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Is that bulk, wholesale, retail, weekend market, or what?

Cos if it's wholesale, I'll be sending some over.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I regularly give away a pint jar to various coworkers each year. One of my friends wanted a second pint. I told him $15. He balked at that and then reminded me that he had hosted a swarm trap from which I got a nice swarm. I gave him the second jar. Most though do not even question the price and eagerly fork over the money.
    Ha! Same with me. This year is the first year I started selling it - $15 a pint. I remind them that it's actually $10 a pound (actually less with the mason jar included). My friend asked where was his ( I gave him a free jar last year). I told him give me 15 bucks and I'll give him a jar. Granted he's my Godchild's father, so after he balked I said first pint's on me, the rest is $15 a pint. He basically got 2 pints for $7.50 each. Seems people just think I set jars out and the bees puke honey into them. And if you want to give a jar of honey to somebody, you have to do it discreetly as everybody else is like "where's mine?". Last year I was so excited just getting some honey that I gave most of it away to friends and coworkers and used the rest to make mead. I find it hard not giving it to neighbors or friends, but where does it stop? My 4 hives just don't product that much!

I give away quite a bit too. I think it's good idea for beekeepers to give their neighbors honey, because the neighbors may have to tolerate (from their point of view) things like bees in their pool and the occasional swarm gathering on their soffit. For that reason, I drop off a quart of honey at each house along my gravel road. It's just good PR to make sure the neighbors don't start to get upset about having hives nearby.

On top of that, I give everyone in my office a jar of honey, plus my immediate family members. I also keep half pint jars to give to people who stop by the house throughout the year--for instance, the FedEx guy asked me about some bee equipment he was delivering to me last year, so I went and got him a jar of honey. So in the end I'm probably giving away about 100 pounds each year for free. But I'm not making a living off beekeeping, and I do enjoy the the relationship-building you can do with a simple jar of honey.

It was supposed to have a pic of a lb of honey selling for $13. Don’t know why pic not showing.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Is that bulk, wholesale, retail, weekend market, or what?

Cos if it's wholesale, I'll be sending some over.
    That's just what I see on Craigslist. No commercial guys here

I bet your Manuka honey would get that here.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeDuto View Post
    I agree. If you are selling locally then just the novelty of someone buying honey from literally their own backyard seems like it would warrant a higher price. Some folks might say why so high, its $7/lb in the supermarket. Yes, but where is it coming from? Doubt its as local as this. And for this honey, the beekeeper is right here, talking to you. That too adds to the value.

I was thinking of doing 1/2lb for $7 and 1lb for $15. 20 seems high but then again I read an article about a beekeeper selling for $20lb and she felt terrible starting so high she but had reasons why it should be so high. She sold out of it instantly.
    I would recommend doing 1/2lb for $8 and 1lb for $15 (or something similar). The larger quantity should presumably be cheaper rather than more expensive. Otherwise what's the incentive to buy more? Any price conscience shopper would just buy 2 1/2lb jars and save the extra dollar. Where that way it is really costing you more because you're using an extra jar.

I was at Longwood Gardens by Philadelphia this weekend. They had 8.5 oz. jars of honey in their gift shop for $19.95.

Quote Originally Posted by blain1976 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeDuto View Post
    I agree. If you are selling locally then just the novelty of someone buying honey from literally their own backyard seems like it would warrant a higher price. Some folks might say “why so high, it’s $7/lb in the supermarket.” Yes, but where is it coming from? Doubt it’s as local as this. And for this honey, the beekeeper is right here, talking to you. That too adds to the value.

I was thinking of doing 1/2lb for $7 and 1lb for $15. 20 seems high but then again I read an article about a beekeeper selling for $20lb and she felt terrible starting so high she but had reasons why it should be so high. She sold out of it instantly.
    I would recommend doing 1/2lb for $8 and 1lb for $15 (or something similar). The larger quantity should presumably be cheaper rather than more expensive. Otherwise what's the incentive to buy more? Any price conscience shopper would just buy 2 1/2lb jars and save the extra dollar. Where that way it is really costing you more because you're using an extra jar.
    Totally agree. I just mistyped the 1/2lb number.

Quote Originally Posted by imkerwannabee View Post
    I was at Longwood Gardens by Philadelphia this weekend. They had 8.5 oz. jars of honey in their gift shop for $19.95.
    8.5oz as the weight?

Man this seems cheap to me. Was at a apple orchard we picked apples at. Was going to ask them if they were interested in buying my honey but not for those prices. How does the bee keeper make money on that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

They are probably buying it in 55 gal. drums from God knows where for $2.50/# and packaging it themselves. Love it when I see local honey advertised on the shelf and find orange blossom honey for sale. Say what? I'm in Virginia.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    They are probably buying it in 55 gal. drums from God knows where for $2.50/# and packaging it themselves. Love it when I see local honey advertised on the shelf and find orange blossom honey for sale. Say what? I'm in Virginia.
    . Well the name on the honey is from a known local commercial bee keeper. Not the name of the apple orchard.

I have been selling 24 oz bears for $15. And 16oz. For $10

I was creating a scenario that made me feel better. As hobbyists, we cannot compete with commercial beekeepers due to their economies of scale. Just the way it is. I would hate to go up against one at a farmer's market. Like you, I sell a 1 pint mason jar, approx. 22 oz. for $15. My cost for the jar is about .80 from Walmart. I imagine the squeeze bears with lids are similar.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I have seen local orange blossom honey for sale in Ohio. Some sellers idea of local does stretch the term a lot.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234