New igloo disposable ice chest as a swarm trap? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New igloo disposable ice chest as a swarm trap?

GregV and odfrank win.

The cardboard ice chest was close to the right size to take top bars, but not quite the right size. I went ahead and did the work to turn it into a pretty nice swarm hive, but it took enough modification that I could have worked from a computer box. It did turn out lighter than a standard deep. Weighed in at 7.1 pounds, and probably most of that was my top bars. You could easily use smaller top bars, but I modified these from ones I already had on hand.

A standard frame didn't quite fit.
    Deep frame doesn't fit.jpg
    The top bars almost fit, but were just a little too long and needed to be shortened to fit. My top bars are designed to fit the top bar hive, but also are the length and width of a standard frame so I can put them in a Lang box. Once I cut them down until they fit in the swarm hive, they were just long enough to still catch the lip on the lang box. They didn't catch the lip on the top bar hive well, and could slide over enough to fall in. I decided to go with a different approach. I cut them about 1/4 of an inch shorter than necessary to fit the swarm hive. This was short enough to fit entirely inside the Lang box. I will put another strip of wood on top when I remove them from the swarm hive that acts like the tag on a standard Lang frame. That way they fit in the swarm hive now, but I can transfer them to a lang box later once there is comb on them.
    top bar with comb.jpgtrimmed down top bars.jpg

Here is what the top bar will look like with the extra strip attached so it fits a lang box
    Top bar ready for Lang.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

The middle section was missing the lip, so I connected a set of 4 top bars together to span the gap.
    small gaps at sides.jpg

At the ends, the shape of the sides left some gaps, so I cut some scrap wood to cover those.

All top bars in place.jpg

Then the lid that came with it goes on top of that. The lid is made so it is reversible, but with the flat side up it fits into the cooler. The top bars block that. Flipped over, it fits over the top bars, but not the drink holders are facing up. This thing is supposed to be water proof, but those seem like rain collectors to me. I live in California though, so we are about done with rain for the year.

I drilled a hole in the side as an entrance and cut a block of wood to fit the side. I used two bolts secured to the cardboard with nuts, and then wingnuts to go after the block of wood. The bottom one lets me keep the wood attached while it is in use so it doesn't get lost. A little harder than rotating a disk to close the entrance on a box, but not too bad.
    Open.jpg
    and here is the closed
    closed.jpg

I painted the inside with bees wax. I put a few drops of LGO, then waxed over that for scent. I also put a strap around it and through the lid. That seemed to secure the lid sufficiently well, but I put two big binder clips on the side of the lid just in case.
    I tried securing it to a branch by strapping it above the branch
    Mounted above branch.jpg

it is also light enough that securing it below the branch can work too.

All in all, it still turned out pretty nice, and I do think it will work well to transfer these bars with comb to either the TBH or Lang hive once the swarm is ready to move to a new home. Now all I need are bees!

We are pretty much out of the prime swarm month by now, but still plenty of time to catch some.

Two pics I couldn't fit in the previous post.
    Here is a picture with the lid on
    20190526_155642_resized.jpg

and what it looks like hanging from a branch
    hanging below branch.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by adammccoy View Post
    GregV and odfrank win...

Thanks for sharing!
    Do report how it turns out.
    Fingers crossed for you.

PS: I have to say I never got any swarms into my computer boxes (I ran 5 of these one season);
    I know people caught into cardboard, but I did not;
    so here it is...
    well used equipment is still the best bet.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12