Newbie - Installing bees into a foundationless AZ hive

Default Newbie - Installing bees into a foundationless AZ hive

I am new to beekeeping and have a Drebbieville AZ hive. I am planning on going foundationless, using waxed-in tongue depressors in my frames as a guide. I was going to get just a box of bees and a queen rather than a nuc to avoid the foundation. I've read quite a lot but just wanted to see if anyone has any words or wisdom, suggestions (or wants to tell me if I'm honestly being crazy with this approach!)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Newbie - Installing bees into a foundationless AZ hive

This is my first year, and I did that. After research, I knew I wanted to go foundationless so I did. Bees have drawn out comb nicely and filling out their second box. Just remember to make sure your hive is level or you'll get cross comb. You may want to add staples to your tongue depressors for extra support if you haven't.

Others on here will have more experience and better advice, but it's working okay for me so far.

Default Re: Newbie - Installing bees into a foundationless AZ hive

Quote Originally Posted by jjohnsonvet View Post
    I am new to beekeeping and have a Drebbieville AZ hive. I am planning on going foundationless, using waxed-in tongue depressors in my frames as a guide. I was going to get just a box of bees and a queen rather than a nuc to avoid the foundation. I've read quite a lot but just wanted to see if anyone has any words or wisdom, suggestions (or wants to tell me if I'm honestly being crazy with this approach!)?
    You could also consider using wedge top frames. You pop out the wedge, turn it 90 degrees then glue and staple it in. I've been doing it this way for over 10 years and as long as the hive is level they build these out beautifully.