Split a new feral swarm?

Default Split a new feral swarm?

Background: This is my first year beekeeping. I was planning to buy a nuc or two this spring when the feral colony that has been living in a cedar tree in front of my house for the last few years swarmed. I captured the swarm and put them into an eight frame deep. They have now filled two boxes with brood and honey on foundationless frames.

Question: Should I try to split them to get two hives this year or add a third box and try to get as many honey stores as I can to help get them through the winter and then split them or make nucs in the spring?

Nota bene: There is apparently a dearth around here between June and September although I plan to plant an acre of buckwheat that might hopefully bridge that gap.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by pushin glass; 05-07-2019 at 07:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Split a new feral swarm?

You should have plenty of time for a walk-away split. Of course, if you feed, then you have time for multiple splits this season. It all depends on how ambitious you want to be in your first year.

Default Re: Split a new feral swarm?

Split it and feed during your dearth. Feeding sugar water is cheap. Wait for honey next year when you will have 2 hives or even more if you want. This will allow you to dive right into beekeeping and learn a lot, basically for free. J