Deer, a problem or not?

Default Deer, a problem or not?

The best location I have for a hive is a thoroughfare for deer throughout the seasons, my entire property is, there's between 6-12 that come through each evening.

I don't see much in the way of search results for deer issues, should I take that as an indication they don't tend to bother?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Deer, a problem or not?

I haven't read about anyone with deer problems either so think it is a non-issue. I suppose if they were spooked one could run into the hives, but not something I would worry about. BTW, put your location in your profile. You will have questions that can best be answered if members know where you are. J

Done, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

I have hives on a property that is loaded with deer. In fact, I can see my hives from 2 tree stands during hunting season. I think deer are going to be a non issue for you.

I've never had hives bothered by deer. Trees, yes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I have had one knocked over by a running deer (by tracks), lots of coyotes that year, happened during rainy spell they got drenched. Was OK after I first put hive back together.
    then watched abscond about a week later, Kind of fun to watch but I would have just as soon watched a u tube instead of first hand.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

I've had hives at one of my yards for several years which has a lot of deer traffic right around the hives. The only issue I've had at all is watching out for ticks in the tall grass.
    To everything there is a season....

Deer can be a real pain. They will nip off a lot of things you try to grow, and the runty bucks will scrape down any tree you try to plant unless there's wire fence around it because your yard will be the only place those runty bucks can claim dominance in, they'll tear up the yard with scrapes 40 ft from the house, and they will,.... Oh, oh, The bees should be ok.

Deer become rodents if you acquire land in Missouri and try to grow stuff. Kind of fun shooting one out the garage door during season in your pajamas though. I heard.