Renting an extractor in Atlanta

Default Renting an extractor in Atlanta

Hi All: I am looking to rent an extractor in June. I am wondering if anyone in the ATL area rents them. I know my local bee club rents one but to be honest the last time I used it I do not feel it worked well at all. I would actually love to rent an electric one. Do rental company's rent one? I googled it and it shows Home Depot rents them but the ones I called had no idea what I was talking about. I hope this thread is appropriate for this forum . Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Renting an extractor in Atlanta

Even if one were available, renting an extractor is a PITA. Depending on the number of hives you have, buying an inexpensive hand crank one is probably a better option. If you will be spinning out over 100 frames, coughing up the bucks for a larger motorized one is money well spent. I loan mine out to club members near me, even though our club has a smaller one available at no charge. Check with some of your other club members to see if they might do the same. Good luck.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Thank you for your reply. I actually have a extractor that I bought used but when I have used it it seems like it does not extract all the honey out of it - perhaps it is not spinning fast enough? That is why I was hoping to rent an electric one. I would not want to buy one since I only have two hives.

I hate to ask the obvious but 1) are you flipping the frames over afer extracting one side and 2) do you have the frames positioned so that the bottom bar leads when spinning? Other than those two, temperature and degree of crystalization can affect the amount of honey left in the comb. I am assuming you are already cranking as fast as you can once the majority of the honey is out of the comb.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyD View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I actually have a extractor that I bought used but when I have used it it seems like it does not extract all the honey out of it - perhaps it is not spinning fast enough? That is why I was hoping to rent an electric one. I would not want to buy one since I only have two hives.
    I bought a china one on amazon when i started 5 years ago. 3 frame spinner. Works for what i need. Worth the couple hundred bucks imo. Yes one with electric motor is a must. i spin it for about 8-10 min on full. come out nice and dry.
    Terrence

Any chance you know how thick your honey was and/or the moisture content. I had really dry honey (12-13% water) last year and it took a really long time (30 minutes) to get most of it out of the frames with an electrical extractor that I borrowed from the local bee club. I borrowed was a 9 frame radial extractor, and it still took me a while to get thru all 3 supers.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    1) are you flipping the frames over afer extracting one side and 2) do you have the frames positioned so that the bottom bar leads when spinning? .
    Thank you so much for all your replies! Yes, I do flip the frames over after extracting one side. Not sure what you mean about having the frames positions so the bottom bar leads when spinning? I just put them in there the way they seem to feel "seated" in there.
    I have to admit I do not crank for 8-10 minutes. I guess if I don't find an electric to borrow I may need to do that. I better start doing some arm exercises in preparation!!

Thank you so much for all your replies! Yes, I do flip the frames over after extracting one side. Not sure what you mean about having the frames positions so the bottom bar leads when spinning? I just put them in there the way they seem to feel "seated" in there.
    I have to admit I do not crank for 8-10 minutes. I guess if I don't find an electric to borrow I may need to do that. I better start doing some arm exercises in preparation!!
    There are 2 types of extractors, Tangential and Radial. With tangential extractors the frames are roughly parallel to the sides of the extractor and you have to flip them over to extract both sides of the frame. With Radial the frames are perpendicular to the wall and you do not have to flip them. With radial extractors the frames need to have the top out so the tilt in the comb is outward and the honey flows out. I do not have enough experience to say if radial or tangential works better.

I have a six frame electric radial Dadant and a three frame electric tangential Maxant. With the radial, one needs to pay more attention to slowly ramping up the speed. If you ramp up too fast, you can get blown comb. Spin time is 8-10 minutes and I can see where an automatic speed ramp controller would be nice. Radial is the only option for larger extractors due to efficiency of some 4 times more frames in the extractor for same diameter of extractor and flipping frames would be too time consuming.

However, the tangential works very well. With a good grillage to support the comb, spin time including flipping for three frames is 3 minute. Comb is very clean of liquid honey and wood frame is close to dry.

Tangential also works very well for wax foundation as the grillage supports the comb.
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!