Queenless or not?

Default Queenless or not?

I admit I am about 70% accurate on whether a hive is queenless or not. My overwintered Nuc came out strong in March. I saw the queen 3 weeks ago. Havenít seen her nor eggs, larvae for the last week. Trying to let the bees figure it out. Added brood + eggs to see if they will make a new one + surpress any laying workers. 4 days later still nothing. Added a frame of brood today with a queen cell and larvae from another colony.

If they donít accept that not sure what to do. I hesitate to add a queen if they are not making one themselves but they canít continue without making more bees.

Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queenless or not?

If they're not pulling cells on the frame you're adding, they have a queen. Might be a virgin on mating flights if you've had a swarm. Depending on weather, might've had a supercedure and queen didn't get mated properly. Plenty of options, if you had a swarm, you likely have 3 weeks from swarm date before a queen is laying again.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    I always have an idea what I shouldn't have done after the fact.

The lesson learned...patience. 3 1/2 weeks later, eggs and larvae. Still haven’t seen her but she is in there.

YEP! Been there, did same thing. When you look for the Q don't smoke them, it makes them get off the frames. When you do find her, mark her.

What to do if you're not sure they are queenless:
    http://bushfarms.com/beespanacea.htm

Bee math:
    http://bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF