Question for posters/ morning rant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for posters/ morning rant

"Bee Forum
    This is a general beekeeping forum to discuss all the various topics on beekeeping that don't fit in any of the other beekeeping forums"

When Barry started BS there was one forum to post questions and comments in but as time went on,posts and membership increased and forum categories were introduced to try and keep things organized.So if you had a parasite question you went to that area,a queen question or a mead question you went to a different area.Recently, it seems that posters are dumping any and all questions in the "Bee Forum",thereby flooding this section and negating any attempts at organization.
    Maybe we could do better?

Thanks for the chance to rant.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Question for posters/ morning rant

I see your point. Maybe we could do better moving posts that clearly fit better in other forums. Of course some posts are multi-faceted. I think as a community, we should try to post in the forum where the topic is best suited.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Replies: 0
    Views: 194
    Replies: 9
    Views: 573
    Replies: 2
    Views: 189
    Replies: 0
    Views: 349
    I hope this makes sense: here are the last four posts (first page) reply and view count on the 'equipment'

Replies: 20,
    Views: 739,
    Replies: 20
    Views: 1,272
    Replies: 5
    Views: 203
    Replies: 17
    Views: 1,031
    Here are the last four posts (first page) , reply and view count on the 'bee forum'

Basically, if you want input, but use a "sub page" you will get no reply's.
    Last edited by Outdoor N8; 05-02-2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: sampling technique explanation

As a new beekeeper and relatively new member to this website I mostly post in the BK101 forum. Even though some of my questions are forum appropriate for some of the sub-forums I always thought my basic, beginner questions should be in the BK101 forum. I got the feeling the sub-forums were more for experienced beekeepers.

I will echo what Outdoor says above too. Sometimes questions in the sub-forums sit unanswered or get limited views whereas in the Bee Forum the do get responses and views.

Alan

I view through the "new Posts" function and rarely even pay attention to the sub-section.

Quote Originally Posted by texanbelchers View Post
    I view through the "new Posts" function and rarely even pay attention to the sub-section.
    +1 to this

Ditto. I use the "whats new" button. Sometimes this puts me unknowingly in a subforum, like for TBH, for which I have no experience and I end up saying something stupid. But, I overall, I try to look at all posts and respond if I have something to add to the discussion.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by texanbelchers View Post
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Never noticed the "new posts" tab. DUH, that will be my go to from here on.

Thanks,

What happened to proper identification of the “location” of new beekeepers - it is sometimes critical to proper understanding of both inquiry and answer!

Quote Originally Posted by JTGaraas View Post
    What happened to proper identification of the “location” of new beekeepers - it is sometimes critical to proper understanding of both inquiry and answer!
    "Location" used to be a required field. Then when VerticalScope implemented a universal login system (across all their various forums), they decided that it was too much trouble to require "Location" at Beesource. I protested, but they didn't care.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Radar - thanks for your efforts; please ask VerticalScope to restore “location” to required field status. I accept the concept “all beekeeping is local”, and my North Dakota bees would be dead if I blindly followed the advice of someone from California, Florida, or New Zealand.

OK, I just moved this thread to the Forum Feedback forum. In theory, it should have been put here earlier, but I left it where it was.

Now that it has been it exposed to the "Bee Forum" denizens for a few days, I moved it to this forum as VerticalScope monitors this forum more than the Bee forum, and is more likely to see this thread here.

Other than pointing out to VS why "Location" is very important to beekeepers, and thus should be required, there is nothing more that I personally can do. But a significant number of comments here from other members on that issue might get their attention.

So add your comments here, and if they don't respond here after a few days, I will post an alert for them to their system.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Trying to think of a reason Location is important to advertisers. That is where it counts under today's regime.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grimshaw View Post
    When Barry started BS there was one forum to post questions and comments in but as time went on,posts and membership increased and forum categories were introduced to try and keep things organized.
    It was a great idea to add sub-forums to help separate and organize specific topics. But I think as time went by this may have unintentionally gone too far. Right now there are so many stickys and sub-forums, it takes forever to search out where one might need to go to with a question on a specific topic. It's much quicker and easier for someone to just go straight to the "Bee Forum".

There appear to be a lot of sub forums and stickys that are sitting idle with little traffic, and some of these are not in the correct sub forum. It seems to have become too busy, but that's just me. I like to keep things simple. Not being critical, just my observations and thoughts.
    To everything there is a season....

simple for me, if location isn't specified, I ignore the question because I would be wasting my time answering
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

If wildbranch doesn't click, no one reads it, no one responds.
    Lower click count = lower revenue.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

If VerticalScope wants to maintain Beesource as one of its “highly targeted, successful online communities and websites”, it is necessary for it to recognize bee enthusiasts need “answers from engaged subject-matter experts and enthusiasts” that is both time and location sensitive. Personally speaking, I will not answer any inquiry from a beekeeper without knowing their location. It will be my intent to politely ask them to create a profile location, but I may decide to forgo that effort. Yesterday, I opened four (4) threads in a row, each started by new members without locations, some using imprecise beekeeping language. New beekeepers wanted good answers — answers that almost always involve location, and its attributes - weather/precipitation/wind/water/flora/fauna.

I agree with many of the post here......too many sub-forums, too many posts outside of their sub-forum, but my 'hot button' this morning concerns the "no location". I will not give a second glance to any question without a ballpark location.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoor N8 View Post
    Basically, if you want input, but use a "sub page" you will get no reply's.
    I use the ispy function, then check my favorite sub forums. Rarely check the bee forum.

Anybody that can't post an equipment inquiry in the equipment section likely won't be worth learning from, or be unlikely to sort the answer from the noise.

Imo if you want chatter, post in the bee forum, if you want a good answer, post appropriately.

And yes. Location should be a required field. Nothing worse than a post asking for information and the entire thread is composed of stuff that ends up being from half a continent away. By the time they check back (if) the thread has become too long to bother reading through.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast