Transferring Brood?

Default Transferring Brood?

I have two hives that made it through last winter (1 with original queen, 1 queen died and was requeened three weeks ago). Original queen hive is absolutely booming with essentially an entire 10 frame deep of brood and tons of bees, requeened hive does have a few frames of brood but def not where I expected it to be after three weeks with maybe half a box of bees. My question is could I transfer a couple frames of brood to the requeened hive to boost their population so they’ll be ready for a super soon, or just be patient and let them grow slowly?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Transferring Brood?

Depends on couple of things. Assuming queen is ok in the second hive, your swarming season, how strong the first hive is, if there are any swarm preps in the first hive etc, I would donate a frame of brood thats about to emerge.

At 3 weeks since requeen you should expect the hive has dwindled some. Just not time for hatching.
    I would transfer bees and brood, just make sure you do not move the queen.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Thanks for the info guys. Original queen hive has tons of bees, but no indication of swarming yet, they still have some room so I’ll plan on rechecking next week and transfer over brood if the second hive still seems low on population.

Equalizing is a process that some beekeepers with multiple hives use to balance all hives in an apiary site in the spring.In every yard there are strong hives that might swarm,average hives that are chugging along nicely and weaker hives that could use a boost or frames of feed.

Resources are taken from the stronger hives and given to the weaker in an attempt to simplify management of the yard as a whole.Sometimes a frame of eggs and young larvae may be given to an apparently queenless colony.

Obviously,pest and pathogen issues need to be detected before any of this occurs.

Sure!!!! Shake off well and equalize. Been doing it for decades.

Crazy Roland