Is this wax moth larvae?

Exclamation Is this wax moth larvae?

I've never seen these in the bottom trays before... saw maybe a dozen in the new (swarm) hive this morning. They are small, most are a cm or less long (bee corpse for size reference :/). Pics online they seem to be larger.

IMG_0357.jpg

- djb
    The best things in life aren't things.
    2 hives, started 2018

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Is this wax moth larvae?

Looks like Hive beetle larva, pull it out and see if it has 6 legs near the head, if so it is Hive beetle. Moth larva have legs down the body and you often find webs with them.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

Genuscastor, I think I just read a post about you being attacked going into your hives. Reading this post makes me think both of your colonies might be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT View Post
    Genuscastor, I think I just read a post about you being attacked going into your hives. Reading this post makes me think both of your colonies might be in trouble.
    That's what I'm afraid of...

- djb
    2 hives, started 2018

Copied from Ocean Beach Bees
    Attached Images Attached Images

If this is on a tray under a screened bottom, it means nothing. If it's on the bottom board where the bees can get to it, I would worry more. But that depends on how many etc.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Looks like Hive beetle larva, pull it out and see if it has 6 legs near the head, if so it is Hive beetle. Moth larva have legs down the body and you often find webs with them.
    Legs are near the head of these critters, so apparently beetle larvae.

These are in the bottom tray of a new swarm hive I caught a few weeks ago. The other hive (I have two hives) has beetle traps in the boxes, when I checked them last week the traps only had a couple beetles in them. And it had been a year since I put the traps in. (I know, I should check more often, I'm working on that. ) The tray in that hive does not have any larvae in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    If this is on a tray under a screened bottom, it means nothing. If it's on the bottom board where the bees can get to it, I would worry more. But that depends on how many etc.
    This is the former. Bottom board has a screen with a tray that slides in under the screen to catch stuff.

- djb
    2 hives, started 2018

>This is the former. Bottom board has a screen with a tray that slides in under the screen to catch stuff.

You can't expect the bees to guard that. It doesn't mean there is a problem if they are below the bottom.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF