medium vs deep nucs prices

Default medium vs deep nucs prices

I am running mediums and have medium nucs. The prices I see locally are for deeps. What price difference is there usually between the two? What is the going prices of medium and deep nucs in your area this year?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: medium vs deep nucs prices

I have three nucs sold at $165 apiece. Seems to be around the going rate here. I do not believe you should change your prices from the going deep nuc rate in your area, instead make it four frames of bees/brood not three.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Medium nucs are scarce, you could almost charge more for them. I would do what jwpalmer said and add an extra frame of brood. Things are worth what people will pay for them, and people pay more for things that are hard to come by.

The only reason I don't make them is that I don't want to loose my honeycomb.

I charge the same for both deeps and mediums. I only make mediums on request. It takes more time, and effort for me to make medium nucs. I basically have to shake bees from a deep into a medium to start the nuc. I can't simply make splits to start them. My 5-frame nucs run $175.00 with my locally mated queens.

I work with my customers, and make nucs the way they want it. Customer service and satisfaction is the key.

An eight frame medium is the same as a five frame deep.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I can have a med nuc or hive hanging around but same - same on the price - frames are basically the same cost and the hives take roughly the same amount of work to maintain; the med configuration is sometimes a PIA for me as it's not my standard configuration and requiring more equipment.

Nucs are running $150-$175
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Thank you all for the advice and the price points. It has been helpful.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida