A swarm UNDER the swarm trap

Default A swarm UNDER the swarm trap

Came home tonight and there was a large swarm UNDER my swarm trap. I watched tonight and they aren't moving in. My question, should I leave them and see how they sort it out or should I shake them out into a hive tomorrow before they have a chance to fly away. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!
    11 yrs. 25 Hives T Zone 7a

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A swarm UNDER the swarm trap

I would go ahead and try and shake them off in a box. I’ve had a few do that and had to brush them off in to the box. They never would go into the trap. Another way to look at it is you already caught them just not the way you had intended.

If they did not move in right away - something is not right and they might take off again.
    Too much baiting chemical inside mb.
    Not enough space mb.
    I would shake them into a normal hive asap and take some anti-absconding measures.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Ukrainian frame experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    If they did not move in right away - something is not right and they might take off again.
    Too much baiting chemical inside mb.
    Not enough space mb.
    I would shake them into a normal hive asap and take some anti-absconding measures.
    agreed
    Kamon Reynolds https://youtu.be/VQ9T1mCo5l4 Grafting Queens

Did you bait the trap? If so, what did you use, how and did you apply it?
    I tend to agree that if the swarm chose that site there is likely some reason that they aren’t willing to occupy it. If the volume was too small or any other physical property unacceptable, they wouldn’t have chosen it in the first place.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Hokie,

I wouldn't worry at all about the bees hanging on the bottom of your trap.

It happens all the time to us. We simply wait until evening, then place a deep box with 10 frames and a bottom board underneath the swarm with an extra empty deep box stacked on top. Then we lightly spray the honey bees with sugar water and simply brush them into the box. After we move them, we add the extra 10 frames. Be careful you do not over spray with sugar water...it can lead to the honeybees falling off the box.

19/20 times it works perfect and the honeybees are happy.

If you really want to increase your chances of success even more, you can add a frame of open brood to the box too.

Quote Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
    Hokie,

I wouldn't worry at all about the bees hanging on the bottom of your trap.

It happens all the time to us. We simply wait until evening,........ .
    But here is the thing, soar.

Most of people here only check their traps once in 1-2-3 weeks.
    Heck, couple of times over the entire summer even.

I have no time to be scanning my yards and traps daily for swarms hanging below the trap (so that I can return in the evening).
    The swarm will land.
    And the swarm will leave.
    And I will never even know.

I want the swarm land, move inside, get settled, and be there waiting for me (no matter how long be it, 2-3 months if needed).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Ukrainian frame experimentation.

I had one on the outside of my trap last fall. I didn’t have time to grab them and did not have any extra drawn out comb. also figured it was late in the year I would need to steal some stores from other hive. The bee started to build off the bottom of trap. About a week before I got to remove the swarm had the queen in my hand and watched her fly off. Put the rest of the swarm into a box. She came back to the hive. That have has survived a Vermont winter and doing great.
    ECFDCD1F-AD9F-497F-B90F-4DEACA64399A.jpg
    69B42F37-C9F8-42E2-8269-683B1E091921.jpg

Sorry about the sideways photos.....

Like they said....too much lure or too small. This one was using both SCL and LGO. Had three hang outside that year.

All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Thank you for the guidance everyone. I tried to capture the swarm the next evening by shaking them into a box with comb and a frame of brood. It didn't work. They flew right back up where they were before. In the process though I saw they were building comb. I re-hung the trap (a deep hive body) again and let them continue building comb underneath until Sunday. On Sunday I lowered the comb underneath the trap onto another hive body and all the bees climbed right in. Done.

I'll move the drawn comb into frames in a couple of weeks.
    11 yrs. 25 Hives T Zone 7a