Rapidly growing nuc possibly sawmy feed or not?

Default Rapidly growing nuc possibly sawmy feed or not?

We picked up a nuc from betterbee, there were pretty nice nucs. I put them in a 10 frame super and they grew fast, I've been feeding 1:1 and some pollen sub to get them going. They sure hauled ass leaving just 2 frames on the outside and filling it with brood really quick, lots of capped brood. There was a couple of empty queen cups but no evidence of eggs in them. I added a second super and put two brood frames in to it and inserted empty partly drawn frames into the brood nest heart.

We scrapped all our old drawn comb due to wax moths after taking a couple years off beekeeping.

My question is do I continue to feed them 1:1 to keep them building comb or do I stop feeding to try and slow them down? Should I stop with pollen sub.

Around here fruit trees are going and dandelions are getting going good now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Rapidly growing nuc possibly sawmy feed or not?

Quote Originally Posted by taxonomy View Post
    We picked up a nuc from betterbee, there were pretty nice nucs. I put them in a 10 frame super and they grew fast, I've been feeding 1:1 and some pollen sub to get them going. They sure hauled ass leaving just 2 frames on the outside and filling it with brood really quick, lots of capped brood. There was a couple of empty queen cups but no evidence of eggs in them. I added a second super and put two brood frames in to it and inserted empty partly drawn frames into the brood nest heart.

We scrapped all our old drawn comb due to wax moths after taking a couple years off beekeeping.

My question is do I continue to feed them 1:1 to keep them building comb or do I stop feeding to try and slow them down? Should I stop with pollen sub.

Around here fruit trees are going and dandelions are getting going good now.
    not sure what the local environment is , if you have dandelions, in my local area, feeding is no longer needed. On a large Hive I can almost get a super of dandelion honey, that time of the year , here it is the first good starter flow.
    However when to stop is not something I can help much with as I do not feed. If 1 box of frames with bees has 2 frames of honey adding up the partials I would think feeding is not necessary. For me it would not be "to slow them down" it would be, how many frames of capped syrup is enough in your hive for your needs.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    not sure what the local environment is , if you have dandelions, in my local area, feeding is no longer needed. On a large Hive I can almost get a super of dandelion honey, that time of the year , here it is the first good starter flow.
    However when to stop is not something I can help much with as I do not feed. If 1 box of frames with bees has 2 frames of honey adding up the partials I would think feeding is not necessary. For me it would not be "to slow them down" it would be, how many frames of capped syrup is enough in your hive for your needs.
    GG
    They're still pulling down the feed the dandi are not full on yet. I am trying to keep the comb building ahead of the brood.

As a general rule, keep the feed on them until they stop taking it or you put your honey supers on. I have pulled my feeders on most of my hives here in Richmond but am still feeding several of the hives I am building up. As an example, I had a 5 over 5 nuc that I just hived into a 10 frame medium over deep. Because I want them to draw out the 10 extra frames I gave them, I just put a feeder on them. The hives that already had 25 -30 drawn frames with some stores had their feeders removed.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.