No drawn comb in honey super - options?

Default No drawn comb in honey super - options?

Spring is blooming here in N. GA and I just added my queen excluder and honey super (HS) in hopes of my first harvest. QE and HS sits on top 1 deep and two medium supers.

So far, since adding the HS two weeks ago, thereís been no progress on drawing out comb. Iím thinking of moving the QE below my top, medium super which is fully drawn and with capped brood. As long as the queen isnít in that top super before putting the QE below it, I assume the existing brood will hatch, leaving drawn comb ready for honey storage?

It makes sense to me but wanted to get advice from the hive mind. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: No drawn comb in honey super - options?

The bees think the excluder is the ceiling take it off, the queen will lay eggs up there that will get the bees up drawing comb

There are bees in the HS, not many and just sort of hanging out. No comb building. Wouldn’t moving the queen excluder under the next super below do the same thing? As long as the queen isn’t in there and there’s still room below it seems like it’d work. She’d still have a whole deep super and medium super to lay in.... while I’d have a medium super and (hopefully) the honey super for myself. Sorry, just thinking out loud here. ��

Take a frame of wet brood and brush the bees off and move it up into the center of your supers filling same rank in each. Nurse bees will come up to tend brood and the bees will draw comb on frames beside it to fix their broodnest and that will start the bees working in your supers above the excluder.