putting a tail on a bee

Question putting a tail on a bee

I have 8 or 10 hives( not counting nucs) on the other side of my veggie garden, 3 or 400 feet from my house.
    Often in the garden, & occaisionally around the house, a bee will buzz around our head, get tangled in hair,& sting.
    This started last year, I moved the alleged offending hive after harvest, things were ok for the rest of the summer, this spring it has started again.
    If I can find which hive is producing these bees, it will get requeened, or moved, or both.
    I have read of people marking a bee & following it, some with powdered sugar, others mentioned glueing yarn, thread, or tinsel to the bee to make it easier to follow.
    I read the "hot hive test" in another thread, about waving a hand over the open hive ... all my hives passed that test until you get to the bottom box)
    So, I have captured an offeding bee. covered her with powdered sugar, & released .... she dropped to a blade of grass, cleaned herself & flew away.
    captured another "badbee".attempted to (off brand super)glue a bit of yarn to her behind.
    stuck yarn to me, to the table, but not to the bee. I kept messing with it until the glue got on the bees wings, they stuck together.
    So, if you have glued anything to a bee's back end, what kind of glue, & technique did you use successfully?
    thanks, CE
    Last edited by tech.35058; 04-23-2019 at 01:06 PM. Reason: clarification
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: putting a tail on a bee

You can mark them by sprinkling flour on them, or colored chalkline chalk (see your hardware store). If you want to make them easier to see or follow, a piece of down works about the best. Super glue works. Glue it to the back of their thorax. Don't get too big of a piece. If you have two people to use, have someone watching the entrances to any suspect hive for the marked returning bees. Keep marking and checking different hives. You could go the other way and sprinkle different colored chalk on exiting bees with a different color for each hive and see what color the aggressive bees are.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I don't know how to glue a bee but your story made me laugh
    zone 5b
    Back in 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by tech.35058 View Post
    [...] If I can find which hive is producing these bees, it will get requeened, or moved, or both.
    The simplest method is - at night, close-up all your beehives - then in the morning open each one, and check carefully for 'anti-social behaviour' before opening the next. You should be able to identify the culprit within an hour or two. Repeat the procedure if you should need confirmation.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/