Question about a newly moved in swarm!

Default Question about a newly moved in swarm!

Dear Forum,
    I had placed in our yard an old hive with two frames our bees had previously begun filling in. Just this afternoon a swarm took residence!!! Should I wait a few days to open it up and fill in frames? I don't want to disturb them and have them leave us! Thank you so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Question about a newly moved in swarm!

When you say filling in, do you mean drawing out the comb or filling in with nectar? If it is nectar, it may be neighborhood bees helping themselves.

It wouldn't hurt to pull the cover late this evening for a quick peek.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Most swarm catcher people say that when you see them bringing in pollen it means that they have taken up residence. Like Alex said, if you had some nectar in there, it could be that they are random bees robbing it out. J

Thank you for your replies! I had put two partially drawn foundationless frames in the hive and placed a cotton ball with Swarm Commander just inside the entrance way. As you can no doubt tell, I am very inexperienced with all of this, which is why I am concerned that if I check on them too early, they may decide to find another home.

If I wait too long to check, I am afraid that the bees might start building comb in places that, because of my inexperience, I will have trouble dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by emilyjaneJMJ View Post
    If I wait too long to check, I am afraid that the bees might start building comb in places that, because of my inexperience, I will have trouble dealing with.
    I am sorry! I meant to say I "would" open the cover instead of "it wouldn't hurt".

Alex

Thank you, Alex! There are a few bees going in and out this morning, but I will take a peek later when it is dark to see what's going on!

I would not wait until dark. They tend to fly out, land on the intruder and crawl, very often finding an opening where your veil meets other clothing.

Alex

I think you meant " add additional frames to fill the box". Yes, open the box, if bees are present add frames, close box and leave it alone. Open space allows them to build crazy comb which you would have to cut out (usually attached to the top). This is not especially bad for a new beek if you want that experience, it would be a good training/learning experience. Do this in daylight or get stung... your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdock View Post
    I think you meant " add additional frames to fill the box". Yes, open the box, if bees are present add frames, close box and leave it alone. Open space allows them to build crazy comb which you would have to cut out (usually attached to the top). This is not especially bad for a new beek if you want that experience, it would be a good training/learning experience. Do this in daylight or get stung... your choice.
    +1

for future reference, since you're using/have foundation-less frames, I would and I do fill the empty space in the trap with empty foundation-less frames. 9 empty and 1 drawn out frame in the opposite end of the box from the entrance.
    Started April Fools Day 2017