Introducing the Easy Vap Pro - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Introducing the Easy Vap Pro

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    The 12 volt draw will be in the vicinity of 25 amps while the controller is calling for heat, if you are going to your hives in your golf cart maybe it would be best to carry along a fully charged 12 battery when you need to treat.
    Would this be a 'Starter' car battery, or a deep cycle battery? I won't have more that 10 or 12 hives to do (famous last words).

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dddillon View Post
    Would this be a 'Starter' car battery, or a deep cycle battery? I won't have more that 10 or 12 hives to do (famous last words).
    with research, it's looking like the usage of the battery for the EasyVap would specify using a deep cycle battery.

Would a 12v 35 amphour deep cycle battery be good for doing 10 or 12 hives?

doing all this research and figuring out all the different options to get power to my beehive. Totally forgot we had recently bought a sweet little portable generator for camping.... problem solved.

LOL I guess it's really Glamping when you have a generator.

D

The instructions say to drill a 1/4" hole int the bottom board, or in the center of the frame rest of the upper brood box.
    Does it matter one way or the other, as regards to the vapor reaching all locations in the box.

Don, It does not matter. The vaporizer will blow the vapors (actually aerosol crystals) throughout the hive. I prefer to put my hole in the back of the bottom board, just off the bottom of the hive.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Don, It does not matter. The vaporizer will blow the vapors (actually aerosol crystals) throughout the hive. I prefer to put my hole in the back of the bottom board, just off the bottom of the hive.
    Thanks. Thought so, but just wanted to check.

No matter where you vaporize you will get vapor into the hive, however from my personal observations the higher you insert the nozzle the better the coverage of the vapor. If you are vaporizing into a dead space you will find that for the vapor to spread to all corners you have to displace the air already there so as most of the air leaks out in the bottom area of the hive unless you have a large upper opening so the vapor does not fill all the upper spaces. So if I have 3 mediums, 2 of which are brood boxes if I vaporize at the top of the second box I feel that I get good coverage of the brood section as well as the bees in the top box. As some of my colonies are now in 4 boxes as they are so large I definitely feel better about treating from the middle. JMHO.

Johno, did you ever see Lauri's video of her using a Provap on a hive? I don't have the link but I was amazed at
    how thoroughly the entire hive was covered by the "smoke" and for how long it continued to move around as the bees fanned it. But, we each need to do what we feel is best. Putting it in the middle eliminates any doubt as to coverage.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12