Treating packages

Default Treating packages

I just bought three packages today and was told they’ve already been treated by the supplier before they were packaged. I talked to a local commercial beek and he said treat packages when I get them with apivar before the main flow. What should I do? Was gonna treat with apivar like the commercial beek told me if I was gonna treat with anything. I live in Utah and the weather has been unpredictable...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Treating packages

OAD is also an option before you have capped brood. I'm finding a 15 to 20 mite drop in 24 hrs. in most packages this year helping beginners. Also look at any of the dead bees on the bottom of the package as I have found some packages have a few dead bees with DWV.
    Last edited by MJC417; 04-19-2019 at 08:12 PM.

OAD is also an option before you have capped brood. I'm finding a 15 to 20 mite drop in 24 hrs. in most packages this year helping beginners. Also look at any of the dead bees on the bottom of the package as I have found some packages have a few dead bees with DWV.
    Is that 15-20%?

Default Re: Treating packages

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksotherhoney View Post
    Is that 15-20%?
    No, that's the number of mites on the bottom board 24 hours after a OAV treatment.