MAQS vs. Formic Pro
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    San Leandro CA
    Posts
    17

    Default MAQS vs. Formic Pro

    Anyone have any feedback on post treatment mite loads and queen health when using Formic Pro? I have only used Mite Away Quick Strips so far and I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on which does a better job or is more well tolered by the bees.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Skaneateles, NY
    Posts
    936

    Default Re: MAQS vs. Formic Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by paulaellen70 View Post
    Anyone have any feedback on post treatment mite loads and queen health when using Formic Pro? I have only used Mite Away Quick Strips so far and I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on which does a better job or is more well tolered by the bees.
    ive used both and they both work well. I think the new formic pro is easier on the bees from memory.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Pleasant Valley, NY
    Posts
    73

    Default Re: MAQS vs. Formic Pro

    I have also used both and agree with Aran. I believe the shelf life of Formic Pro is much longer.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Massillon, Ohio
    Posts
    5,557

    Default Re: MAQS vs. Formic Pro

    I've been using OAV exclusively for years, but last August I tried the Formic Pro on all my hives. The ambient temperatures were in the correct range and application went smoothly. I used the single application method. The hives have overwintered extremely well and are in great shape right now. I'm considering using Formic Pro as my fall treatment every year and only using OAV in late fall as a clean up plus a single treatment in winter when broodless.

    The cost of Formic Pro is higher than doing a series of OAV treatments, but factoring in the time spent vaporizing and the effectiveness beyond just phoretic mites, I'm realizing it's money well spent.
    To everything there is a season....

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rutland County, Vermont,USA
    Posts
    2,096

    Default Re: MAQS vs. Formic Pro

    Mike, your plan is what I do and it has been working for me, except I have done the 1/2 dose method with MAQS due to weather and queen concerns. Haven't tried Formic Pro yet, but will when I run out of MAQS. I did find it necessary to give a OAV series once in late fall after MAQS. Mite counts were not high, but borderline. Counts were very low after Maqs but I think they may have robbed out a neighbors untreated hive. If I only did one mite count a year, it would be in mid to late fall. I've become a believer in mite bombs and believe you need to be vigilant in the Fall. J

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: MAQS vs. Formic Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Counts were very low after Maqs but I think they may have robbed out a neighbors untreated hive.
    Any chance it wasn't effective at killing mites in brood and counts went up after brood emerged?

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Lake County, Illinois
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: MAQS vs. Formic Pro

    What is the single application method?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    I've been using OAV exclusively for years, but last August I tried the Formic Pro on all my hives. The ambient temperatures were in the correct range and application went smoothly. I used the single application method. The hives have overwintered extremely well and are in great shape right now. I'm considering using Formic Pro as my fall treatment every year and only using OAV in late fall as a clean up plus a single treatment in winter when broodless.

    The cost of Formic Pro is higher than doing a series of OAV treatments, but factoring in the time spent vaporizing and the effectiveness beyond just phoretic mites, I'm realizing it's money well spent.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rutland County, Vermont,USA
    Posts
    2,096

    Default Re: MAQS vs. Formic Pro

    Beekeepingisgood, yes that's possible of course, but it has only happened once and I know my neighbor lost her hive so that's my educated guess. I apparently did not put the mite count in my notes, so at this point unsure how long after the treatment it was.
    Planner: A full dose or single application is 2 strips placed in the hive at the same time. A half dose or double application is one strip, and you add the second strip 10 days later. This is thought to be gentler on the bees. J

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •