Hello from the Michigan UP!

Default Hello from the Michigan UP!

Just found this site when I was searching for "mowing grass near beehives" to reassure my husband... what I found here did actually reaffirm what I remembered from previous experience with beekeeping, some 30 years ago (in my "former life," as I usually refer to it). Although I've been considering getting bees again for quite a long time, I've been somewhat concerned about whether I could handle the Langstroth hive boxes by myself (and DH has no intention of getting involved with this project); when I recently came across some info about top-bar hives I began to think that maybe I could work this out after all. So, here I am, happy to have found what appears to be a great source of information, planning to build a couple of top-bar hives and gather the needed gear this year and then get the bees next spring. (Fortunately, DH is up for the project of hive building, so he may yet come around to having more interest in the bees themselves.) Otherwise, I'm an avid gardener with a veggie garden, flowers, and an area that I've planted specifically for bees and butterflies. I'm in a very rural area (we have about 13 acres of mostly "cedar swamp"), and do have occasional problems with bears trashing our bird feeders in the spring so I'm anticipating needing some sort of electric fence to deter them. Looking forward to getting to know the other members here and learning from all of you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hello from the Michigan UP!

Welcome from the land of the trolls lol! You might want to look in the TBH forum to try and find the link for the fellow that runs insulated horizontal hives in the upper part of MN. Bees don’t move too well horizontally in colder climates when they’re clustered.
    Rod

Welcome onboard Did you find your mowing answer?
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Thanks for the replies!

Eikel - yes, I think I found the info I needed about mowing... shouldn't be too much of an issue where I'm hoping to put the bees, at any rate.

Rod - I'll definitely be doing a lot of reading in the TBH forum; my understanding (from what I've found elsewhere on the internet) was that the horizontal hives do well in cold winters... but then, for some people "cold winters" means Kentucky, so I'm really looking forward to actually be able to discuss things here!

Welcome to Bee Source.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."