Supercedure cells in a just swarmed hive

Default Supercedure cells in a just swarmed hive

I just had a hive swarm. Pretty large swarm (primary) but the hive is still populous. And potentially could cast some more again.

Inside I found one frame with 3 swarm cells. (They were cut out and given to a queen less start up nuc.)Then there was one frame with one supercedure cell along the top bar. And another frame with 2 supercedure cells along the top. (The 3 swarm cells were obviously along the bottom. But we’re on the same frame with the 2 supercedure cells)

I’ve already added a 3rd deep, yesterday, which they seem to be starting gain interest to build in. And have opened the broods nest up even more by placing the one supercedure frame into the 3rd deep.

I’d like this hive to be strong and not swarm again.

I understand it’s players choice, but would you do? Should any of these supercedure cells be removed even though the old queen is gone in that primary swarm?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Supercedure cells in a just swarmed hive

If the hive swarmed, I would call them all swarm cells (no matter there placement), and the third deep & checkerboarding probably will do little or nothing to prevent them from swarming again (since they are already in the mode). But that they will be decided as the first cells hatch. I would make several strong nucs with the cells, brood, bees, and frames before they hit the trees again. Of course, keeping one cell for the mother colony, and supporting resources.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

I only had one hive with swarm cells in it. Cast a swarm on Sat., primary swarm I think, and then another on Sunday. There may have been others that I don't know about. Can't risk cutting out any more cells so I am just letting them do their thing.

Im curious why you left the supercedure cells and removed the swarm cells. It's my understanding (and certainly could be wrong) that swarm cells are preferred for making a good queen. J

It doesn't matter where they are. If the hive swarmed they are all swarm cells:
    http://bushfarms.com/beesfallacies.h...mcellsonbottom
    http://bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm#supersedure
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Ok, so take all frames out containing the queen cells and place them in a nuc? So if they swarmed that means there is definitely a queen already in there? I have some capped brood but no eggs, obviously. A little worried I’d cause Queenless situation.

If they swarmed, there should be a queen there, but she could be in an unhatched cell. That's one reason why I raised the issue of removing cells. MB, I get what you are saying, but using the common nomenclature, I understand that "swarm" cells are generally bigger and therefore preferred over "supercedure" cells. Whatever you want to call them, I hope the OP left some big queen cells. J

Yes. I left one cell in. And moved the other two to a new nuc, just incase. Knowing my luck they’ll probably just swarm again and I’ll have to run around with a pole and a ladder sometime soon. Haha

I wouldn't worry about it at this point, but in the future, most leave 2-3 cells as insurance. J