Single brood chambers - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Single brood chambers

Quote Originally Posted by e-spice View Post
    When you say "single deep", you mean a deep containing the brood chamber and a medium or two of honey on top of that? Or do you mean a single deep with both the brood and honey contained in it?
    In the summer its a single deep broodnest with queen excluder and honey boxes above. But you overwinter as a single deep with no additional boxes. Essentially, in fall you remove the honey boxes and excluder and feed them syrup (or let them move honey into the broodnest) until they are completely backfilled. This spring each hive still had ~3 frames full of honey, despite a pretty rough winter. Some years they need syrup or dry sugar in late winter/early spring, depending on how hard they were on their stores.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SuiGeneris View Post
    In the summer its a single deep broodnest with queen excluder and honey boxes above. But you overwinter as a single deep with no additional boxes. Essentially, in fall you remove the honey boxes and excluder and feed them syrup (or let them move honey into the broodnest) until they are completely backfilled. This spring each hive still had ~3 frames full of honey, despite a pretty rough winter. Some years they need syrup or dry sugar in late winter/early spring, depending on how hard they were on their stores.
    I really appreciate the informative reply. That's intriguing to me. I use all mediums in 8-frame equipment and am always battling keeping the hives shorter. I generally have four or five mediums tall going in to winter but may try going in to winter a lot shorter, maybe two or three mediums.
    Beekeeping 5 Years - 10 production hives and about 10 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Been running singles in the North for 166 years. Can be done with skill.

Crazy Roland
    you still type fine for an Old guy. I would not have guessed you a day over 125 .

I presume you meant some other people started doing single deeps 166 yeas ago in the north.

I'm in 10-frame kit, and some winters they run out (and thus need supplemental feed). Depending on how long your winters are, and how active your bees are, this approach may not work for you, especially on 8-frame kit. My bees are relatively inactive during winter, so feed goes a long ways. We're broodless for a couple of months (late November to late February, give-or-take), and see minimal brood rearing until April. I came out this spring with between 4 and 7 "seams" of bees in each box, which is pretty strong, and even so had several frames of honey in each hive. Their populations are booming right now, so I have to keep a close eye on their stores as there isn't much nectar yet (lots of pollen though).

I would also add that single-deeps are more work than doubles (or, at least, require a little more rigour in your inspection schedule). You need to inspect very regularly, as there is less space for the hive to grow into and therefore swarming is more likely. I do full inspections weekly for queen cells and space starting in mid-April through to early September, and spot-check for space once or twice between full inspections from April to July. I have a very small apiary (I'm a hobbyist, not a pro), so the extra work this entails is not a burden, and rather, I chose this method as it was a better opportunity to learn about bees and bee management.

A couple of Canadian beekeeps who run singles have good youtube videos on single brood management. They're all pro's, so their info and experience is superior to mine...plus you can get a feel of how to manage singles on a larger scale:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkQ...4Zt8McQ/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/devanwatchesvlogs/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3m..._Gh5YPw/videos

Grey Goose: Linden Apiary was established in 1852 by my Great great Grandfather, C.F.Diehnelt near Milwaukee. So "We" , our family, have been keeping bees in single deeps since they where invented( or close to it).

Crazy Roland, Linden Apiary

It was mentioned earlier in the thread it’s easier down south but all I’ve seen is people up north doing it. I’d like to try it but seems difficult. Here in south Texas we do get cold temps but they don’t last long so it seems we would have to feed a lot more as the bees would be much more active. Seems more practical up north.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Grey Goose: Linden Apiary was established in 1852 by my Great great Grandfather, C.F.Diehnelt near Milwaukee. So "We" , our family, have been keeping bees in single deeps since they where invented( or close to it).

Crazy Roland, Linden Apiary
    cool history. do you have a wintering shed like Ian in Canada? so you winter in a single 10 frame deep. must work or you would not still be doing it. Thanks for the history information.

No shed. Outdoors, with a "winter wrap" and mouse guard. For the last half of the last century, we used "winter caves". They where plaster lathe and tar paper shelters that surrounded paired hives, with space for straw around, between and over the hives. They attracted ALOT of vermin. The current winter wraps are less mess and faster.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by SuiGeneris View Post
    A couple of Canadian beekeeps who run singles have good youtube videos on single brood management. They're all pro's, so their info and experience is superior to mine...plus you can get a feel of how to manage singles on a larger scale:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkQ...4Zt8McQ/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/devanwatchesvlogs/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3m..._Gh5YPw/videos
    Again, thanks for the information SuiGeneris. I know every location is different, but using this management, what is your typical harvest per hive per year?
    Beekeeping 5 Years - 10 production hives and about 10 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

I am in south and technically I don't use single deep but yes, we can safely winter in 1 deep. I like yo winter them in 2 mediums. But even a single box 5-frame nuc survives in our part till Feb and then you have to feed them to save them. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by e-spice View Post
    Again, thanks for the information SuiGeneris. I know every location is different, but using this management, what is your typical harvest per hive per year?
    I'm still new at this and am in "growth mode", so I've yet to have a year at full production (even this year I'm planning on splitting all my hives mid-spring, which will limit my harvest). Most of the locals I know who run singles claim same or better than double-deeps. Most of our local commercial guys/gals use singles, so presumably they don't see any loss in production.

I think these Canadians know what they’re doing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_oYsyB1PvM&t=223s
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12