Bee keeping suit reviews
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bee keeping suit reviews

Hello, I would really like to get opinions on bee keeping suits. I have been using a hat with veil only since we first got bees 5 years ago. I'm really interested in upgrading to a suit.
    Thanks for any feedback!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee keeping suit reviews

Guardian bee apparel

I have a Humblebee suit and I love it. It’s a one piece that’s fully ventilated. I’ve been impressed with the quality. I got my boyfriend an Ultrabreeze and it’s very similar to the Humblebee. He loves it.

ultrabreeze vented suit .

I have an Ultrabreeze jacket that I really like. I just bought a Guardian suit because I liked the idea of their easy access veil. You can unzip the front of it to get a drink or wipe your forehead off. My beef with the Guardian is that they didn`t put Velcro on the sleeves like my Ultrabreeze jacket has to tighten it up around your wrist. They have it around the ankles. Otherwise it seems to be a great suit. The Ultrabreeze is about 30 dollars more, but made in the USA where the Guardian is made in Pakistan. If I buy another one it will probably be an Ultrabreeze.
    Zone 4a

Jackets and suits I've really liked:
    Golden Bee Products
    Ultra Breeze
    Guardian Bee Apparel
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Iíve had a bunch and in my opinion youíll not beat the Ultra Breeze.

I bought the fully vented suit from Clearly Sustainable on a Black Friday special. I've had a few occasions to use it already. Very nice when you need the full suit (I prefer something lighter whenever possible). Zippers are well done as are the pockets and seams, and a whole lot less expensive than Ultrabreeze.

https://www.clearly-sustainable.com/...hive-full-suit

I prefer a jacket with an attached (zipped-on) veil, and when needed for extra protection, or warmth, a variety of bib overalls ranging from lightweight painters' pants to my insulated Carhartts. Also I am a short woman so suits are sometimes hard to get sized right, both top and bottom. I suppose some brands may have women-proportioned sizes, but mostly they are uni-sex, S/M/L/XL

I dislike the extra effort to climb into a suit, while a jacket I can throw on as I leave my car or house and arrive at the bees all zipped up and ready.

For fabrics, I have tried out (and bought) most kinds. There are a few occasions when the thick insulated-type fabrics are preferable (very hot and breezy days). Most of the time I prefer simple, medium weight, all-cotton fabric. My absolute least favorite is any kind of polyester blended material. I have three or four of those and while they are OK as simple coverings for my street clothes, any kind of heavy work in them reveals their un-breathability. Give me cotton (or linen) any day of the week over a blended fabric. I had my eye on the fancy-schmancy (and pricey) Sheriff brand gear, but I balk at the fabric which is 65% polyester. Maybe fab in cool English summers but seems awful for me here in northern NY. But I want to give their veil material a try to see if it lives up to their claims of being better.

If I worked where protection from AHB was needed, i would probably always use insulated fabrics for protection and coolth in those hot areas.

Also, for comfort, think about what you've got on under your bee clothes. You can get away with less than you think, which is good in hot weather.

My best tip: keep an eye out for second hand gear on Craig's List and in bee club newsletters. While I would never buy used bee equipment because of the disease risks, I am fine with used fabric clothing which I can wash at very high temps (nearly boiling) in my washing machine. Having extra jackets allows me to put on fresh, or nearly fresh, jackets frequently. And to wash them after any hot sweaty workday. It makes a huge difference to me to start the day in clean clothes.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    I bought the fully vented suit from Clearly Sustainable on a Black Friday special. I've had a few occasions to use it already. Very nice when you need the full suit (I prefer something lighter whenever possible). Zippers are well done as are the pockets and seams, and a whole lot less expensive than Ultrabreeze.

https://www.clearly-sustainable.com/...hive-full-suit
    My experience as well. I've never seen an Ultrabreeze suit, but I am thoroughly satisfied with the Clearly Sustainable ventilatated suit. It is a solid, quality suit. Cool, too.
    I would love to get their ventilated jacket one of these days.

Ultra Breeze !! Great quality and made in the USA. I own a jacket and a full suit, both are exceptional and have seen LOTS of bee work over many years and have held up extremely well. Great product.

I do not own a Clearly Sustainable jacket, but just looking at it online suggests that it isn't the same quality or does it have the same design features as the Ultra Breeze. In particular, the pockets are NOT mesh fabric (will not provide as good of ventilation), cuffs are elastic vs velcro on the Ultra Breeze. Clearly Sustainable looks to have a plastic zipper, were the Ultra Breeze uses a brass zipper. I suspect that the Clearly Sustainable jacket will hold up fine in occasional use, but for heavy use, I strongly recommend Ultra Breeze.
    Last edited by AstroBee; 04-16-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieC View Post
    Hello, I would really like to get opinions on bee keeping suits. I have been using a hat with veil only since we first got bees 5 years ago. I'm really interested in upgrading to a suit.
    Thanks for any feedback!
    I use long shirt or sweater and a $16 veil from dancing bee equipment that straps on your shoulders. For me is quick and easy to put it on and off. All you have to do is wear oversize sweater or shirt and the veil.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Ultra Breeze !! Great quality and made in the USA. I own a jacket and a full suit, both are exceptional and have seen LOTS of bee work over many years and have held up extremely well. Great product.

I do not own a Clearly Sustainable jacket, but just looking at it online suggests that it isn't the same quality or does it have the same design features as the Ultra Breeze. In particular, the pockets are NOT mesh fabric (will not provide as good of ventilation), cuffs are elastic vs velcro on the Ultra Breeze. Clearly Sustainable looks to have a plastic zipper, were the Ultra Breeze uses a brass zipper. I suspect that the Clearly Sustainable jacket will hold up fine in occasional use, but for heavy use, I strongly recommend Ultra Breeze.
    Astrobee,

It sounds like the Ultra Breeze is a superior product. Brass zippers are great. I really like the idea that it is made in the USA.

However, the Clearly Sustainable suit is often priced at $115. To my way of thinking, $115 vs. $259 for a quality suit that I use 4-6 times a year is a fantastic buy.

Quote Originally Posted by clong View Post
    Astrobee,

It sounds like the Ultra Breeze is a superior product. Brass zippers are great. I really like the idea that it is made in the USA.

However, the Clearly Sustainable suit is often priced at $115. To my way of thinking, $115 vs. $259 for a quality suit that I use 4-6 times a year is a fantastic buy.
    Yes, for occasional use save the money, but for serious work, performance, and durability, then Ultra Breeze.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Yes, for occasional use save the money, but for serious work, performance, and durability, then Ultra Breeze.
    Astrobee,

Agreed.

Has anyone used a Texas Bee Supply "Super Suit"? I tried one on the other day and really liked the ventilated fabric, all the zippers were brass, velcro tabs on the wrists, and there's a zippered front to the veil that would be really nice for those times when a bee crawls all the way up into your veil. Just looked like a really nice suit, but I usually wear a jacket....

https://www.foxhoundbeecompany.com/b...acket-and-veil

I got an XL and it is XL. it's good and long so it doesn't ride up when you bend over. I love the way the front fail will unzips/opens.

I bought a cheap 3xl off amazon and it's maybe an actual large
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Astrobee,
    Preach on brother. Theyíll get what they pay for. Iíve had several from different companies but I always fall back on the Ultra Breeze. I work mine hard. Iíve replaced zippers and veils. Great people to work with. The elastic wrist band will come back to bite them before their done. When you buy two cheap ones you couldíve had one good one. IMO.

I really like my Lyson suit.

If you're looking for a good suit that won't break the bank: https://beekeepcheap.com/products/beekeeping-suit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast