Best way to do this trap out... Help

Default Best way to do this trap out... Help

Hi ,
    Friend has honey bees that are enterting and exiting from the metal saddle that is on the front door, what is the best way to get them out? I closed one of the 2 holes and placed a swarm trap ( with brood comb, lemongrass oil) outside the front door hoping to lure them out, check basement under the front door no sign.
    thanks
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Best way to do this trap out... Help

They are going into the threshold?
    Not much space under there, is there a 2nd block between the floor joists making a void space or are they going into the wall, with the threshold just being an entrance.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Commenting just as someone with some construction knowledge. Hard to tell from the close pic, but I would assume that there is solid framing under the door, so they are going into some cavity, not under the door. My guess would be between the floor joists in the basement if its a finished basement. If the basement ceiling isn't finished, they might be able to make their way into the wall cavity on one side of the door. Paul, is there a ceiling in the basement? If so, go down and press your ear against a water glass and the ceiling and listen. J

No ceiling in basement , looked between floor joists directly below door and I saw and heard nothing , I think they are going up into door jambs and sheet rock walls , hoping I can lure them out

I would try a tube coming off of the hole and thru a cone trap. You could run the tube into a nuc with a one way cone and try to get the hive out this way.

I am thinking of something like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-IzCEn0eqA

This was the first video that looked sort of relevant.

I've done the cone/trapout with a tube procedure. It's a very, very long process and with me negative results. Unless you can coax the queen out you won't get the hive and if there is honey comb inside the wall it needs to be removed or you will have ants and roaches and all of their friends and neighbors coming in to feed.

This may sound like a dumb question, but are you sure they are honey bees and not mason bees? doesn't really seem like a place where they would have access to a cavity. I don't see any activity at the entrance like I would expect to see. I get a lot of calls for mason bees. They look a lot like honey bees. I've had a couple calls for mason bees in the same type of location, once after an exterminator identified them as honey bees.